Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Had lost one of my 5-button 2017 chrysler Pacifica key fobs.

Customer Question
Had lost one of...

Had lost one of my 5-button 2017 chrysler Pacifica key fobs. Bought two online. One was an OEM and never programmed the other came from a 2017 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid. Brought the two keys into the dealer today. They were able to program the virgin one but claimed the other one was already paired to another vehicles VIN and can't reprogram. They charge $150/hr to reprogram 1 or 10 keys. So I read that there is a way to reflash the one from another vehicle. Anyone that was an expensive lesson. Any thoughts?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fob's battery?

It's fine....

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Pacifica yourself? What have you tried so far?

All I did was too bring the two keys I bought online to the dealer. One was an OEM and never programmed so they were able to do that. The other apparently was from a 2017 Hybrid that was recalled. I have the VIN of that key but dealer claims once paired to another VIN you're SOL !

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just what I said.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Chrysler
3/15/2018
Chrysler Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 3 months ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

Unfortunately for you, the dealer is correct. The VIN is a write once program that cannot be reprogrammed over. This is why it is stressed to the techs to ensure they triple check the VIN number before programming it into the fob

On some older ones it could be reprogrammed, but not on 2015 and newer, despite what you may have read on some forum.