Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My ignition switch lock cylinder is broken and I need to…

Customer Question
My ignition switch lock...

My ignition switch lock cylinder is broken and I need to replace it

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the car been stalling out?

No, but it did get stuck in the on position and I had to use pliers to turn it off now it's just kind of sticking although the key doesn't stay in the ignition anymore I just blacked out

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chrysler?

1987 Chrysler Fifth Avenue

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Fifth Avenue yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am and I haven't tried anything yet I still need to instructions on how to do it I can't find anything on YouTube

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes let them know that I'm not a season's mechanic

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Chrysler
3/14/2018
Chrysler Mechanic: K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, does it have a tilt wheel?

it has tilt steering

Thanks, ***** ***** just a few minutes and I'll get the instructions together for you.

Thanks for your patience, you're going to need basic hand tools and

1. Steering wheel puller

2. Lockplate compressor

3. Pick set

Most parts stores have the wheel puller and lockplate tool in their loan a tool program.

What you'll do is

1. Remove steering wheel

2. Remove lockplate

3. Remove turn signal switch

4. Push in tabs with picks and remove lock cylinder

I'm going to post the instructions below. They aren't the best for this model but with those and the exploded diagram you can see how it comes apart. If you have any issues just reply back.

My goal is to provide 5 star service. Rating/accepting does not cost extra and ensures I'm credited for my time and knowledge. It also does not close your question if you have a follow up concerning this. Thank you for using Just Answer!

Is it really necessary to mess with the gear shift lever and the instrument panel stuff
do I need to remove the tilt steering mechanism that I pull to adjust the tilt steering

You shouldn't have to mess with the instrument panel or shift lever. Just wheel, lock plate, signal switch then you'll see the tabs for the switch on the left.

Hello, I was just wanting to follow up and see how things went.

The people at AutoZone give me the wrong the wrong ignition switch

I'm sorry to hear that. I am glad to hear you were able to get the old one out.

No I haven't got the old one out either

OK, if you'd like to send pictures of where you're stuck at I should be able to help further.