Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My PCV valve broke off inside of the engine due to oil

My PCV valve broke...

My PCV valve broke off inside of the engine due to oil breakdown and extraction tools are not working to get it out. Would I be able to use a thread chaser to clean the plastic from the threads to be able to put the new PCV valve on and if so would the plastic shavings that have probably fallen into the engine harm it once I get it put back together and started up again?

Mechanic's Assistant: When was your last oil change?

October

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chrysler?

2008 Chrysler Pt Cruiser 2.4L basic model

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your PT Cruiser yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. I've tried using two different extractor tools for removing bolts 3/4' and 1/2' but it just keeps turning on the inside without unscrewing the stuck plastic.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I don't believe so. I just need help on getting it out and if the plastic that probably fell into my engine will hurt it or not and if there's anything I can do to prevent it from damaging my engine.

3/13/2018
Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. I understand the issue that you have and, in my opinion, you need to remove the valve cover and Thoroughly clean these plastic pieces out. This may cause damage or issues with the camshaft in it's grooves.

Here I am attaching information on the removal of the valve cover gasket.

Y​ou need to take the time and remove these pieces.

If you require more information on this issue and/or are not satisfied, let me know, please, and I will attempt to assist you further on this. I hope this information points you in the right direction. If you have any further questions or concerns on this issue, feel free to ask. If you are satisfied, and have found this information helpful, a positive rating would be greatly appreciated and necessary in order for experts to receive credit for answers provided. Thank you.

A positive rating does not close the session. We will still be able to communicate, and I will still continue to assist you with this issue as needed

Thanks Tom. I was afraid of that. The other problem is that one of my intake manifold bolts will not come out. The screw turns but not straight out.
since I'd have to take the intake manifold off to get to the valve cover gasket I'm stuck again...

What you will need to do is remove the rest of the bolts, and then for the last one, put a little pressure on it(as if pulling off) while turning the bolt. This should help.

If you need me, I'm here. Keep me posted. Also, please, do not forget to rate the service. Thanks again.

Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician
The information you gave me was very helpful. In my original question I asked about getting the broken PCV valve pieces that are still in the threads out. Should I use a thread chaser after I get the valve cover off?

Yes, You will want to have the threads as clean as possible, the you will be good to go. You may want to replace the valve cover gasket while your at it.

Do you know what thread pitch the PCV valve is by chance, 1x8, 1x12, or 1x14?

I could not honestly be certain. That information is not listed.

I haven't been able to find it either so I'll have to find someone who can measure the thread pitch on my new PCV valve for me. Todd you have been a tremendous help! Your instructions with diagrams will be a massive help when I start working on my car tomorrow. I gave you an awesome rating because you deserve it. I'll keep you posted on my progress. Thanks again!

Thank you very much and you are very welcome.

Hey Tom! I was able to get my intake manifold and my valve cover off in order to get the pieces of the pcv valve out of the valve cover. I ended up having to use a rotary tool to grind the plastic out and once I got to where the threads started I was able to break the rest of the plastic pieces out of the hole. Everything went back together fine and I'm on the road again. Thanks for your help! :-)

I am glad that I could help out. Thank you very much. Have a great day.