Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I bought a 2010 Chrysler Sebring with 65,000 miles from a…

I bought a 2010 Chrysler...
I bought a 2010 Chrysler Sebring with 65,000 miles from a dealership and since i bought it the heat always goes out on the right side. Driver side will blow hot to warm air and passenger side will blow cold. The car doesnt have 2 way heating. i have brought it back to the dealership 3 times now and so far they replace the heater core and fluid flush, 2nd time heater core and multiple fluid flush and 3rd time radiator, heater core and multiple fluid flushes. when i get the car back it only works for maybe 2 weeks then the passenger side blows out cold air. Im bringing it back tonight for another repair what would you recommend to do to fix the problem or what to look at?
3/12/2018
Chris (aka - Moose)

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• THE TIME I AM ONLINE, 7 days a week normally online around midday and then late evening until early morning.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website normally after my first reply. I complete calls where I feel it is a benefit.
  • UPLOADED LINKS I SEND, if I upload dropbox links, they will open on a home PC, often they fail on a work PC, on a phone use the box on the top right of your phone screen for direct download.

Are you able to do any testing yourself so I can help you figure out this issue?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
When Im driving I feel the defrost vent left window side heat, left middle near windshield heat, right middle nuke warm heat, right side near window cold. Put it on feel only driver side blows out heat, passenger side blows out nuke warm air. Sometimes I notice it heats better when accelerating suppose to at a stop sign or in park. As far as doing any work myself or replacing anything I haven't done anything. Just doing research and suggesting what could be the problem could be.

Heat on hottest and blower on max. Engine running at operating temp, grab the heater core hoses on the firewall. Are they both very hot near 170+ degrees F?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
they are both hot. When they replaced the heater core there was alot of sludge build up in all 3 that they replaced. They didnt say anything about the radiator when they replaced it.

When you did this test. Were you getting cold air out of the passenger side?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I did get cold air on passenger side

Thanks, ***** ***** have hot hoses into and out of the heater core and cold air coming out of the vents. This means your complete heater core is not getting hot. It is partially blocked so not all of it is evenly heating. This would indicate a sludge issue. I recommend removing the heater core hoses and using a chemical under pressure to flush the heater core in both directions to clean it out and open it up so it works correct. If this works then you need to flush the rest of your engine cooling system.

You now will see a rating scale 1=bad to-5=excellent because I have posted a full or partial answer instead of an info request. When you rate I get a portion of the deposit you made, no rating means you still paid, but I earn nothing. My goal is understanding your question, and addressing it in full detail. In return, receiving a 5-star rating. Rating does not close the post or stop the conversation. Please keep in contact and reply as much as needed. Thanks, Chris

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok so the same thing they just replaced 3 times already and multiple fluid flushes. What causes the sludge or is it something that just happens over time?

Sludge should not occur over time on a cooling system properly maintained and working well. Something is either getting into the coolant from a head gasket possible failure or there is a concern in the engine, radiator, or heater core where pieces internally are flaking away and causing restriction. I would flush the core in both directions with the hoses routed to a clean 5 gallon bucket to examine what it is inside that is stopping it up.

Chris (aka - Moose)
Chris (aka - Moose)
Chris (aka - Moose)
Chris (aka - Moose), Technician