Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I've had this strange whirring noise when i've been driving…

Customer Question
Hi! i've had this...

Hi! i've had this strange whirring noise when i've been driving - took it to a mechanic and they said it shouldnt be an issue. but i got on the highway the other day, started to accelerate, and my check engine light started blinking rapidly. it then turned into a grinding noise and it was hard to accelerate - when i tried to start it up yesterday, it felt like the car was literally shaking.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

It blinks!

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chrysler?

2006 PT Cruiser

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your PT Cruiser yourself? What have you tried so far?

I've been taking it to a myriad of mechanics because nobody is giving me a straight answer. last summer, there was an issue with the air conditioning so they replaced the alternator. the check engine light came on a few weeks ago, and i took it to a local shop - they said it was just a programming/computer issue and they charged me to reset it, and when i asked about the whirring noise i had been hearing, they said i shouldnt be worrying about it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Ive been told there was an oil leak but no mechanic can seem to locate it - that's about it! thank you!

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Chrysler
3/12/2018
Chrysler Mechanic: Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems replied 5 months ago
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you ,I will Try to Help you with This Issue

you have listed several issues here

Tje blinking check engine light when driving ,is ( A RANDOM MULTIPLE MISFIRE ) CAUSES BY LACK OF FUEL PRESSURE , WEAK COILS , MAF SENSOR ) ETC , TESTING IS NEEDED

YOU SAID THERE WAS AN ISSUE WITH AIR CONDITIONER AND THEY REPLACED ALTERNATOR ( TO FIX A/C ISSUE ALTENATOR WAS REPLACED ?)

THE WHIRLING NOISE YOU TALK ABOUT IS MOST LIKELY THE WHEEL BEARING ,BUT IT IS SOMETHING TO WORRY ABOUT SINCE YOU DO NOT WANT THAT WHEEL LOCKING UP ON YOU WHILE DRIVING ?

NOT SURE ON THE ADVICE OF THAT SHOP YOU GOING TO

I WILL TRY TO HELP YOU BUT YOU HAVE TO BE MORE SPECIFIC FOR ME, SINCE I M NOT NEXT TO THE CAR AND RELY ON WHAT YOU TELL ME HERE

If you do not mind me asking are you looking for the most possible causes and taking it to a repair shop or you are repairing it yourself and you need step by step instructions
Please Let Me Know
Thank You
Chad Farhat

Hi Chad! Hope you're having a good day so far!
I'm just looking to narrow down what the issue could be - I'll be taking the car into the Chrysler dealer tomorrow instead of the local shop that I've been taking it to, since I feel like I'm just not getting the service that I need.
I bought the car 2 years ago from a family friend - it had 50k miles on it and gave me no issues until about a year ago. First, the air conditioner went out, then the alternator died (sorry, got it mixed up at first!). They replaced the alternator, then I got the air conditioning fixed. About a month later, the check engine light came on again, and it was an issue with the power steering - that got fixed at the dealer, and then that's when I was told that there was an oil leak, but wasn't told where - just to keep an eye on fluid levels.
Since then, I've gotten the rear brake pads replaced, and the check engine light came on briefly in December, then it went off once I got the fluids topped off. Three weeks ago was when the light came on and the local shop told me not to worry - I def am now though!
If you need any more info just let me know! Thank you for your assistance!
Best,
Lauren

hi Lauren , i m good thank you ,hope u good as well

1-The oil leak, most likely the Oil pan or rear main seal leaking ,

2-have them vehicle raised and spin the wheels and see which bearing making noise and replace ,it comes as hub assembly, while on lift they can check the oil leak to conform location

3-on the check engine light , Have the plugs and coils replaced, Have the MAF sensor cleaned .

4- This car has an issue with Battery cables ,causing all kind of electrical and engine and windows etc problems have that checked

click on link to view the cables they need checked

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PT-CRUISER-2006-2010-BATTERY-WIRING-HARNESS-CABLE-NEGATIVE-POSITIVE-TERMINAL/192473878210?hash=item2cd0564ec2:g:LgsAAOSwvgdW6rdW&vxp=mtr

Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May receive My my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Appreciated

You are very welcome :)

Please Read Below How to Get Back in touch with Me

Follow Up Questions are Included in The Price of Your Question ,So Feel Free To Ask Me.

Please Keep in Mind that when you Rate Me , it Does Not End our Conversation.

You Can Always Come Back to this Conversation and Ask Me any Follow up Question you May have on this Issue

(You can Copy this Link Page & Paste it in your Browser when Ready and it will Open up our Conversation Again)

or there should be a Tab on your Screen to Add me As Your Favorite Expert

I'm Online Daily from 7 Am Till Late Eastern Time Zone

Thank You?Chad Farhat?ASE Certified Technician

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation.

If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).

You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.

I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases,

It can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.