Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Theres a louds knocking noise that started earlier today. At…

Customer Question
Theres a louds knocking...

Theres a louds knocking noise that started earlier today. At about 5:30 pm my cheack engine light cane on the the temp went from cool to hot and went off and came back on. I shortly pulled over because i was concerned. Antifreeze was put in it and the check engine light went off but the knockin noise is actually louder and resembles a deisel truck

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

Its completely off i bought it last week used ran diagnostic test and had oil change i havent had any problems until today

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chrysler?

2002 chrysler sebring lxi

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sebring yourself? What have you tried so far?

No i been doin maintenance to try and make sure it lasts. So far its had adiagnostics test ran and no codes appeared. I have had the oil changed and was going to get a tune up tomorrow. But now it seems i have to have some work done.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Im just really concerned about what is going on with it. My boyfriend says the fan or thermastat went out but my father says the head gasket may be blown or a fuel problem.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Chrysler
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/10/2018
Chrysler Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 3 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

I'd say the next step is to measure the compression on all cylinders as they should all be within 10-15 psi of each other

from the description I'd say you may have run low on coolant and popped the head gasket

the pressure test will show this up

you have to also find out why its lost coolant in the 1st place

If you have a tiny pinhole leak in a radiator then these often don't leak water but will lose water as steam ( steam molecules being small enough to pass through the hole where liquid cannot) take a look on the rad for any signs of localised corrosion and for areas that look like they've been 'steam cleaned'.

If all of this is OK it may be worth replacing the header tank cap as again you can lose coolant as steam if this is blowing off too early ( the cap should hold pressure of around 1Bar)

The other thing to try is a head gasket / block test kit as these take a coolant sample and analyse it for any signs of combustion gas - if present this would indicate the head gasket is on its way out

http://www.uktools.com/block-tester-p-12508.html

and as a fix for internal leaks I’ve found this product works very well, without clogging heater matrixe’s
http://www.kalimex.co.uk/our-products/k-seal

it doesn’t last forever though

My goal is to give you the best advice that I can and I hope that I've helped today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave. If you need more help, use the reply box to let me know.
If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt