Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2006 Chrysler 300 car won't go over 25 mph and the ect light…

2006 Chrysler 300 car...

2006 Chrysler 300 car won't go over 25 mph and the ect light came on. Parked car and a half hour later it ran fine. Went a couple of weeks running fine and it happened again. It had a bad battery that kept dying every week or so. Changed battery and thought problem would go away, but it happened again.

Mechanic's Assistant: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?

Took the battery to a battery store and they checked it. Said it wasn't holding a charge. Got a new battery and car ran fine for a few weeks. Yesterday the wife was driving it and the rpm's went way up and the car wouldn't go over 25 mph. Parked it and the ECT light was on. Now it runs fine again and the light is off. This has happened twice now. Before I changed the battery it had to be jumped a few times before we realized the battery was dead. But, it has a good battery now and it happened again.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 300 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Haven't done anything yet. Just trying to figure out what the ETC light might mean. Electronic Throttle Control is bad or does the computer need to be reset.

3/8/2018
Chris
Chris, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will assist you today. Usually when this happens, the Electronic Throttle Body is failing, or you have a medium to large vacuum leak. Which engine do you have in your 300?

Chris

Hemi

Okay, check for any vacuum leaks (check EGR tube). If there are none, then have the Throttle Body replaced. I am 99% sure this will take care of it.

Chris

Thanks man!

You are very welcome!

I hope this information/answer is helpful, and if so would you please help me and rate my service using the stars at the top of the page or 'accept' my answer.
Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for this Q&A.
If you cannot rate or do not see where to rate, please let me know!
You can ask follow-up questions after you rate or accept. Thank-you!

Chris

Chris
Chris, Technician

Thank you for accepting my answer!

Chris