Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Number 4 cylinder is not burning fuel, Pours out of the tail…

Customer Question
Number 4 cylinder is...

Number 4 cylinder is not burning fuel , Pours out of the tail pipe. we did a leak down test and a compression test.

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

Yes gas hog running rough. both test were good.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chrysler?

2006 Chrysler 300 3.5

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 300 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes new coil pack new computer both test leak down and compression all good . voltage on the coil fluxuates

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Chrysler
3/7/2018
Chrysler Mechanic: Canuck Tech, Instructor replied 5 months ago
Canuck Tech
Canuck Tech, Instructor

If you've got fuel pouring out the pipe, compression is good, then either there is a short to ground on the computer side of the injector harness for number 4 cylinder, or the fuel injector is stuck open.

Most likely the short to ground issue. I've never seen an injector stuck open in real life

Disconnect the wiring harness at the computer. Disconnect the harness at #4 Injector. Using an ohmmeter, place one lead on a good ground, and the other lead on the brown wire with the tan stripe of the injector harness of #4. The ohm reading should be very high ideally, infinite. If it is l1-10 ohms or so, that wire is shorted to ground.

If this information has proven beneficial, please close the question and rate my service. Regards, Canuck

Where would the ground be located

That... is hard to say. Look for spots where the harness curves tightly, if there has been accident damage, where someone else has been working recently, aftermarket accessories like a remote starter (some techs will use the ground side of an injector to get an rpm signal for a remote starter)... There are no bulletins or other techs who have report this exact issue on this car.