Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

It quits running while driving pull over stop turn every…

Customer Question
It quits running while...

It quits running while driving pull over stop turn every thing off it will strat up and off we go again no warnong lights had it checked no codes just randome engin stop running

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

Check engine light dose not come on nothing comes on when you stpo just the normal oil loght and tac at 0 not running turn it iff with the key and back on start runs fine

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chrysler?

2001 pt cruser limited edition with 5 speed manual trans

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Took it to a shop the first time they charged the battery aft I had it towed in it started and ran fine checked for codes there were none drove it and could not get it to do it again got it back drove it for a couple days stoped running on the fre way puled on the sholder turned every thing off and then started ran fine for a couple more days then same thing . I never know when it will stop running .

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I haave not clue why it is doing this it runs and drives just fine no warning lights no check engine light just random quit running

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Chrysler
3/7/2018
Chrysler Mechanic: Canuck Tech, Instructor replied 4 months ago
Canuck Tech
Canuck Tech, Instructor

Hi there - sorry to hear you are having problems. These type of faults are frustrating for all involved.

I am doing a little research...

Because the problem is so intermittent, I am taking an educated guess. If I was the one repairing the car, my first guess would be the crankshaft position sensor. Typically, that sensor will not set a Check Engine Light, therefore leaving no clues... for the poor tech, or the unfortunate owner.

been there done that it was replaced not long ago when it dfailed the engine would not re start now it not only restarts but will run for miles .

OK - was it a genuine Chrysler part? I've had aftermarket ones fail after less than a year.

I'm going to put your question back out to other experts - hopefully there are others who have come up with a different answer! Regards, Canuck

No problem. Loosen the battery terminals, wiggle, tighten... Check the ground cable and connections. This is a big open circuit... Should be relatively easy to find.... Let me