Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Switch out the pcm and bcm awhile ago...now I have a no

Switch out the pcm...

Switch out the pcm and bcm awhile ago...now I have a no start stall out issues...heard it has something to do with the vtss... trying to bypass if possible just need my car to run...

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chrysler?

98 concorde

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Concorde yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes...nothing just researching the issue

I have also replacement camshaft position senor
I do not have a fob either ....all I have is what appears to be a regular black key..that when i lock the driver door locks all the doors...and activates the alarm system...I was told it has a chip though..
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/6/2018
Brad
Brad, Dealership Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!!! I'm reading your question and will post a reply soon. Thank you for your patience.

Did you install a new PCM and BCM or used? Also can I get your VIN to see what your vehicle is equipped with?

Thanks Brad
I not with the vehicle now...I'm at work... When I get home I will get you the vin.. the PCM and BCM that was installed or supposed to be new

Can you tell me why your replacing both of them?

This may help:

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:

Vehicle does not run (engine starts and stalls) or improper theft alarm actuation occurs after swapping Powertrain Control Module (PCM) or Body Control Module (BCM) between non-Vehicle Theft Security System (VTSS) and VTSS equipped vehicles.

DISCUSSION:

The VTSS function on LH vehicles resides in the PCM and BCM. The PCM module becomes programmed to support VTSS when it is installed on a vehicle that has VTSS enabled in the BCM. The PCM and BCM carry this information with them if they are transported from one vehicle to another. When a PCM is put into a vehicle in which the BCM has VTSS enabled, the PCM will ‘learn’ that the vehicle has VTSS after the ignition is turned on. Installing a VTSS enabled module in a non-VTSS equipped vehicle or vise versa will cause a no-start condition or improper theft alarm actuation.

NOTE: TO PREVENT NO-START CONDITIONS DUE TO VTSS BEING ENABLED ON A NON VTSS VEHICLE, PCMs AND BCMs ON LH VEHICLES MUST NOT BE EXCHANGED BETWEEN VEHICLES OR INSTALLED IN VEHICLES AND THEN RETURNED TO THE PARTS DEPARTMENT.

REPAIR PROCEDURE:

This repair involves disabling VTSS on a vehicle which has been enabled incorrectly.

NOTE: THE ENTIRE PROCEDURE MUST BE DONE WITH THE BATTERY DISCONNECTED TO AVOID CONTAMINATING THE NEW MODULES.

NOTE: USE THE DRBIII® SCAN TOOL TO REPROGRAM THE NEW PCM WITH THE VEHICLES ORIGINAL IDENTIFICATION NUMBER (VIN). IF THIS STEP IS NOT DONE A DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE (DTC) MAY BE SET.

THE VEHICLE MILEAGE IS STORED IN THE BCM ON LH VEHICLES. ORDERS FOR BCMs WITH THE CORRECT VEHICLE MILEAGE CAN ONLY BE PLACED THRU THE SERVICE CENTER

1. Remove both the PCM and BCM as described on pages 8D-10 and 8E-6 of the 1998 Concorde/Intrepid Service Manual
  2. Replace the PCM and the BCM with non-VTSS enabled modules.
  3. Verify the repair was successful by cycling the ignition on and leaving it in the run position for a minimum of 30 seconds, then cycle the ignition off, remove the key from the ignition, open the drivers door, lock the vehicle via the power door locks and close alldoors. After waiting two minutes, unlock the vehicle manually using the key (do not use the remote keyless entry FOB) and open a door. The alarm should not sound and the vehicle should start and run normally.
I have a 1998 Chrysler Concorde 3.2...I replace the PCM and BCM a few years back..becuase of the no start stall out issue. I took it to the dealership and was told it could be my camshaft position sensor or my PCM or PCM or all three... I have the dealership replace the PCM and BCM... And I still have the same issue
I would have to replace both PCM and BCM with a non vtss version of both ?
If so how do I find or know the PCM and BCM are non vtss ?

I will need your VIN to see if your vehicle is equipped with VTSS first...

Ok
Ok vin is 2c3hd46j9whi95331

Ok your Bright Platinum 1998 LH is equipped with security sales code LSA. The BCM part number is ***** and the PCM is R4896120AE. Are these the part numbers they installed? If yes then you will need a DRBIII scantool to verify the correct VIN was installed and to see if the VTSS is enabled...

I need to take it to the dealership for the drb3 scan to check those...
Is there anyway to bypass the vtss system at all...
Be cause at first the car would crank run for 2 seconds then die now the key won't even get the car to turn over all the lights on instrument panels come on but the car doesn't even attempt to try to turn over

The security system has it locked out... The DRBIII will be required to scan the BCM..

Brad
Brad, Dealership Technician
Well then to the dealership then... thanks for your help and the info man