Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

It was driving and then the power went out and I coasted to…

It was driving and...

It was driving and then the power went out and I coasted to a stop; check engine & oil light are on, but there is oil when I check the dipstick

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

Stays on

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chrysler?

2006 Chrysler sebring

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sebring yourself? What have you tried so far?

Not much; I was just googling it to see what the matter was and ended up here

1/23/2018
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

Does engine turn over but not start or not even turn over?

The engine didn't turn over yesterday, but when I tried it again today it was turning over. I'm getting a P0340 code. I looked it up online and it said a camshaft position sensor might be the problem; I got a replacement one but it still doesn't work. Any ideas on what to try next?

The crankshaft position sensor can also cause this code which can cause no spark. So check to see if you have spark if not I'd replace the crankshaft position sensor. If it does have spark then check compression, if compression is below 100 psi then that would point toward timing problem. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

Ever get it figured out? Please do not forget to rate answer, thanks.

no, still not working... I checked it, and it t does spark. I tried starter fluid into the air intake, but it didn't catch. I changed the battery (saw online that could be an issue). I changed out the crankshaft position sensor (also saw that online). I took the part of the timing belt cover off to see if that was broken, but its still in one piece. I'm not sure how to check for compression and what I need to measure that.

Your timing can jump without belt breaking, it sounds like that is the case here. You need a compression tester which you should be able to barrow from parts store or buy for around $30,

I borrowed a multimeter and tested the wires going to the camshaft position sensor; I saw on YouTube that I should expect readings of ~10v, 12v (the center) and 5v from the wires. The multimeter gave me readings of 5v, 12v, and 5v... Could this be the issue?

It could mean cam sensor or timing chain, when you turn over engine does it sound normal or does it sound like it is turning over too easy? Such as faster then normal and sounds like no compression.

I don't know about faster, but it does sound a little rougher than normal

I'd start with a compression test, if compression is below 100 psi in any cylinder then next step would be to check timing.

Any Luck?

Dan, Technician