Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

01 PT Cruiser no crank no start. Jump terminal 30 to 87,

01 PT Cruiser no...

01 PT Cruiser no crank no start . Jump terminal 30 to 87 , cranks and runs , but pt wants to go forword in all gears including park on gear selector . So I assume it's in limp mode but not sure . I put on a new solenoid pack

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

Yes , lights are bright . Yes , battery charged .

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your PT Cruiser yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I am . Jumped terminal 30 and 86 , then started, but transmission is in forward gear no matter what gear I put it in. Including park .

1/16/2018
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

There may be a mechanical transmission issue but I question whether you're actually changing the gear the trans is in when you're moving the shifter. The manual valve on the valve body may be in a forward gear, which would also prevent the starter from engaging, and the linkage isn't actually moving with the shifter.

When you move the shifter does it move with little resistance as if it isn't connected to anything?

I would say not much , it turns lever on transmission . There isn't any resitance.
Is the manual valve lever tight?
What do you mean by tight?

Is the lever tight to the manual valve rod coming out of the trans? It has a 10mm pinch bolt.

If the lever is tight and the manual valve rod was turning with the shifter yet the shifter moves with no resistance as if not connected that would indicate breakage of the manual valve rod, which is possible but would be unheard of.

sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
I want to check on it , about the resistance. I was thinking about what I remembered.
there is Resistance

So does it go into each gear position correctly?

The problem has to be internal transmission failure then, most likely planetary geartrain failure

Ok how do you know for sure ? Asking because I am curious ?

If the transmission tries to move the vehicle forward in any gear position other than a forward gear it indicates mechanical failure.

Thank you for your service.
You're welcome!
sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician