Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Have a Grand Voyager Limited AWD with 3.3l V6 engine. Engine…

Have a Grand Voyager Limited...
Have a Grand Voyager Limited AWD with 3.3l V6 engine.
Engine suddenly started idling at 2000rpm and had a vacuum sucking noise coming from around the airbox on top of engine.
Owner phoned service agent in New Zealand and was told there was a diaphram inside air box that ruptures.
Owner removed air box to check diaphram to find there is no diaphram.
During re-assembly breather hose to airbox was found to be split. Hose was repaired and engine reassembled.
When attempting to start engine fired then stopped. Will not start. Have checked spark, all ok.
Any suggestions please
1/10/2018
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

What you're describing is most likely a dislodged PCV valve. The PCV valve presses into the rear bank valve cover with a large hose going to the top of the plenum. If the valve pops out of the valve cover it will cause a vacuum leak and therefore a high idle, and you'll hear the sucking sound from the hose and valve cover.

Remove the PCV hose at the rear valve cover and I believe you'll find the PCV valve is loose.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Hi, as described, the large hose from the PCV to the plenum had a split in it. It has since been repaired and reassembled. The problem now is that it won't start, after firing once on initial startup. Have checked spark so suspect a fuel issue.

Has fuel pressure been tested?

No I don't have the equipment. Assuming that it was starting fine before the airbox was taken off why do you think fuel pressure would suddenly change. I'm not up to speed with electronic fuel injection (left the trade in the early 80's). I'm wondering about all the electrical stuff on the throttle control "box". Could the owner have damaged something when he was mucking around with it

Does the fuel pump run when the key is turned on?

Sorry was off the island yesterday and not had time to check out fuel pump. Will check out and get back to you today sometime. Thanx G

Ok.

Have done the following
1. Disconnected fuel line under the throttle box. Turned ign to run position, no flow. Tried also while cranking engine
2. checked fuse and power to it
3 removed fuse while ign on run position, refitted and heard what I assume is the fuel pump operating for approx 3 seconds
4 Add 20litres of fuel to fuel tank incase gauge inaccurate. Friend advised it was accurate
5 Attempt to start. No go

You can't disconnect the line and leave it hanging, there is a check valve in the line that will close. A fuel pressure gauge needs to be used.

sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
ok didn't know about the checkvalve. thanx will have to try and locate a tester.