Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

The electric throttle light came on, the car messages said…

Customer Question
The electric throttle light...

The electric throttle light came on, the car messages said the car is overheating we pulled over for about 5 minutes then all the messages were gone what should we do??

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant? Have you checked for a leak in the cooling system?

How do I check if there's a leak??

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chrysler?

200s 2015

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

It looks like we're low on antifreeze so we're going to fill that and see what happens. We're driving pack home from Florida to SC

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes I had the engine light came on o got the engine checked at auto zone it said p0128 coolant thermostat

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Chrysler
1/1/2018
Chrysler Mechanic: Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician replied 6 months ago
Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician

Good afternoon, I hope you are doing great. My name is***** would be happy to assist you with this today.

It sounds to me like the engine/throttle light came on due to low coolant/overheating. These have a fail safe feature that will put the engine into limited power if it detects a problem such as low coolant/overheating. I would recommend clearing the codes and getting the coolant filled up, this should clear things up. Let me know what you find :)

The symbols went away but the engine is still on but the temperature of the car is rising

Okay great. Have you filled the antifreeze yet?

we have put the service electric throttle control light came back on and the engine is running hot again

Okay I understand. Do you hear the fans trying to operate when the engine is running?

The engine doesn't sound different from normal

Alright got it. If the fans are operating and the coolant is filled then it is possible we have a thermostat that is failing

Is it safe to drive we have about 3 hours til we're home

It can still be driven as long as the temperature does not go too far into the red. If it climbs up higher than 75% make sure to stop and allow things to cool down

Ok the car dash doesn't have a gauge for that where would I look to find it??

It should have it in the settings of the dash, there should be a vehicle temp setting inside of the dash controls

Pic attatched

Perfect, that picture tells me it is most likely an electrical/thermostat issue. If it were over heated it would display red, it looks like it blanked out and defaulted the warning message

Oh ok so it's really not overheated and we'll be find driving 2 1/2 hours home??

Yeah that is what it looks like to me. Just keep an eye on things and listen out for excessive fan noise or anything that sounds out of the ordinary. I will be online for a few hours so keep me updated :)

Ok thank you

You are very welcome

Hello, just wanted to make sure you made it home safely?