Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2012 Chrysler 300. It sat for 8 days while I was…

Customer Question
I have a 2012...

I have a 2012 Chrysler 300. It sat for 8 days while I was away. Went out on Christmas Eve and nothing happened, no crank, no start. This happened twice in the past. Once in 2015 and I jumped it and it started. The last time I installed a new battery (May 2017) which resolved the problem. I put a charger on the under hood battery connectors for a few hours Christmas Eve. The car started and I drove it to the event I needed to attend. I came out of the event (about 4 hours sitting) and the car again wouldn't crank or start. It's back again on the charger (it's been there all night). I expect it will start when I go outside and I plan to bring it to my local dealership for them to correct. Do you have any insight what the problem could be? There's been no after market devices installed, regular services have always been performed. I just want to know more so I can speak to the auto technician in a knowledgeable way. Thank you.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuel supply? And are all the spark plugs working?

Fuel tank is over half full. I'm not sure how to check spark plugs working or not. I do know when the car does run, the heat sems to

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 300 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Other than putting it on the portable charger, I haven't done anything. I did notice that the heat seemed to be on when the car actually ran yesterday. I live in Florida, so heat wasn't required, so I turned the whole temp system off.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I'm mainly interested in what the problem could be so I can talk intelligently with my mechanic later this morning.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Chrysler
12/26/2017
Chrysler Mechanic: David Craig, Auto Mechanic replied 6 months ago
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I'll be more than happy to assist you, Please allow me a few minutes to review your information. Thank you.

you will need to make sure that the alternator is fully charging the battery. When the car is running, the voltage at the battery needs to be 14.4vdc if the alternator is working right. If it's less than 14.1 then I would recommend replacement of the alternator. loose or corroded battery terminals can also be the culprit here. also where the negative battery cable connects to the engine needs to be checked to make sure it's clean and tight.

hows it going?

do you still need assistance?

No thanks. I took the car to theChrysler dealership and they replaced the HFM. Somehow it wasn’t turning off all the electronics when I turned the car off and it just kept draining the battery. The battery itself was fine.

ok, glad its taken care of. Happy New Year.