Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

A key is broken in the ignition. I have removed everything…

Customer Question
A key is broken...

A key is broken in the ignition. I have removed everything but cannot move the switch to the run position to remove it

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the key stripped or worn?

It is the wrong key entirely it is not yhe ignition key

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chrysler?

2001 town and country

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Town and Country yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have tried using vice grips to turn the switch all it has done is moved the outer plate

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No I don't think so

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Chrysler
12/23/2017
Chrysler Mechanic: Robert R, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 months ago
Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 30+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

At this point, the ONLY way to remove the Ignition Lock Cylinder is to drill out the cylinder. Starting with a 1/4" drill bit, begin drilling out the cylinder at the area where you insert the key. Make sure to CENTER the drill bit when you begin drilling so that you can evenly drill out the cylinder until all the tumblers have been removed. Drill NO DEEPER than the length of the key so as to not damage the Lock Housing. Starting with a 1/4 " drill bit and working your way up to a 1/2" drill bit you should be successful in drilling out the tumblers. Once you do this the ignition cylinder will be able to be rotated to the run position so that you can pull the assembly out...

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,

Robert

______________________________________

If you need additional information, don't hesitate to ask, I am happy to help as long as necessary to help solve your concern. Remember, a "Positive" Rating will not close this question, You can post a reply here whenever you want, even after rating my answer! .

I just wanted to check in with you to see if you need more help with your concern. A non rated question normally times out within 7 days, so I wanted to stay in contact with you to see if the problem has been solved.

If I have helped you resolve your concern and you have already rated my answer, I want to say "Thanks", and let you know you can still follow up on this concern if needed. Also, I want to let you know you can bookmark ->>> My Profile Page <<<- in case you have another automotive question in the future. Make sure to begin your question with "Robert R" so I will be able to easily find it

If we are still working on your concern, please post a reply so we can continue.

If you are happy with my answer and have not left a rating, please do so asap to complete the transaction. It is greatly appreciated as I recieve no compensation until you do so...

If you're not satisfied with my answer, BEFORE rating, please post a reply with a short explanation as to why. I may have a better explanation for you... It also helps me to refine my answers to help future customers more thoroughly and efficiently.

Robert R
Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Technician