Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My Chrysler 200 won't even turn over. We had new tires put…

Customer Question
My Chrysler 200 won't...

My Chrysler 200 won't even turn over. We had new tires put on, then it wouldn't start at Sears garage. It's NOT the starter.. We took that off and had it tested.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

They are not corroded.

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your 300?

2014 Chrysler 200

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 300 yourself? What have you tried so far?

It's a 200

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I'll chat later after my mechanic looks at it

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Chrysler
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/22/2017
Chrysler Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 5 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

If the car's not cranking then first check it can turned over by hand by using a socket on the crank pulley nut, so double checking for any mechanical issues

If OK then check that the main battery cables are on tight and the terminals are clean and bright. Do the same for the engine / gearbox earth strap.

Then follow the main positive lead back to the engine and down to the starter motor, and check the connection at this end as well.

There should also be a small wire to the motor which should have 12V when you're turning the ignition switch/ pushing the start button to crank. If the 12V isn't there, check back along this wire for damage to the insulation or corroded connections

This 12V feed comes directly from the ignition switch/ starter button so this may be faulty and need replacing

Check the resistance of the main positive lead that runs down to the motor as anything more than a few ohms and it should be replaced

Don't forget to try a jump start from another car / battery as its possible the battery is poor, if you have a voltmeter a healthy battery should read 12.7+V

also try substituting the battery for another as I've known a very flat battery to drag down the system voltage too far even with jump cables

one other thing to consider is that the immobiliser is faulty and preventing the starter from being enabled - however if the dash / ignition lights are on then this usually means that its off

If this is all OK then its possible the car needs a new starter motor

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt

Matt, Engineer