Chrysler

Chrysler Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chrysler

I have a 2001 PT Cruiser. The vehicle continues to chime…

Customer Question
I have a 2001...

I have a 2001 PT Cruiser. The vehicle continues to chime when headlights are off. When I turn on the headlights the chime goes away. When I turn on just the park lights, no chime but the high beam indicator light illuminates in the dash, even though all the lights and and switches seems to be working fine. Nevertheless I replaced the multifunction switch which changed nothing. I had to remove both door jamb switched and ground them to the frame (if I grounded just one switch the chime would continue) to get the chime to stop. However when I do this I loose all my dash lighting except for the odometer, it illuminates but will go out if I turn on the headlights. When the lights are off it stays on. Also when the switches are grounded the word DOOR illuminates in the dash. Any ideal?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?

Yes all the dash bulbs work they just light up a certain times, according to what I'm doing

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your PT Cruiser yourself? What have you tried so far?

Fuses, changed function switch, move wires to check looseness, checked door jambs

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Chrysler
12/22/2017
Chrysler Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 2 months ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question

Possible causes are the body control module, instrument cluster panel or junction box. If I can get the last 8 of the vin number, I can pull all the schematics and verify which is at fault

my last 8 are 1T298237

HI,

I am sorry but I dont have the needed schematics. I do believe it is the body control module, but I will open this back up to other experts

Ok, any help will be appreciated
Chrysler Mechanic: Marty, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 month ago
Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician

Hi, different expert here. My name is***** you still need help with this? If you do, I will need the complete vin number in order to look up the wiring diagrams on the system.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi my complete vin is 3C8FY4BB01T298237

Thanks for the vin number. This looks like a bad instrument cluster. Are you able to remove the cluster and do some electrical tests at the cluster connector?

You will need a good volt/ohm meter.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok I'll let you know when I have it off. I do have a good volt meter also. Right now the battery is disconnected so that it won't run down.

Ok

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Marty, Hope you had a great New Year's celebration. Now that I've finished the holidays, I have just removed the instrument cluster and I am ready for the next step.

Hi, I've attached two diagrams of the cluster connector below. We are doing this test on the 26 pin connector. With the key off and the cluster disconnected, I need you to use your ohmmeter to measure the resistance of the terminals 1, 3, 7, 9, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 23 and 24. Write down the readings and post them here. Most readings will either be OL or have continuity (open or closed circuit).

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Marty Couldn't work on car because of the snow (do not have a garage). Anyway here is what I got Not sure if my ohms were on the right range decimal wise.
Pin #1 - 1.18, Pin #3 - 1.05, Pin#7 - 0.39, Pin#9 - 0.40, Pin#17 - 0.96, Pin#18 - 1.40, Pin#19 - OL,
Pin#20 - 1.58, Pin#21 - OL, Pin#23 - 2.03, Pin#24 - 1.97
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Marty, was wondering if you received my last message with the ohm readings?

Sorry for not getting back to you on this. I lost track of this question. I will review the readings and reply this evening.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok

I can't rule out the RKE module for this problem. I would like to disconnect the module to see if the chime stops. The module is located at the center of the dash above the center air vents under the instrument panel top cover. You will need to remove the cover in order to disconnect the module. Either that or you can plug in a used instrument cluster. The problem looks like it will either be the RKE module or the cluster.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Marty today I disconnected the RKE module and the chime continued.

Recheck pin 9, 23 and 24. If they read OL I would replace the cluster.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Marty, I rechecked pins 9-23-24. Reading were a little different. These are the readings pin#9- 0.55, pin#23- 0.75, pin#24- 0.98

It seems like everything checks out. I would have to suggest trying another instrument cluster.

Marty
Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician