Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Need to get drive cycle working for emmissions test for a…

Customer Question
Need to get drive...

Need to get drive cycle working for emmissions test for a '05 Sebring

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sebring yourself? What have you tried so far?

Talking to the guys at the smog test center. Telling me to drive more. Car gets very little use.

Mechanic's Assistant: When was your last oil change? Have any check engine lights popped up recently?

Changed oil 4 days ago. no check engine light on. Smog guys saying self test stuff not working with car's computer.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Chrysler
12/19/2017
Chrysler Mechanic: Pete, Technician replied 6 months ago
Pete, Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

If the battery is dying to where it has to be jump started or disconnected and reconnected or if a scan tool is used to clear out any codes this restarts the emissions cycle all over again so you want to make sure none of this is going on.Below is a procedure to use to get the cycle to run faster.In some cases, the procedure needs to be followed twice but in most cases, it will lead to the cycle running and passing fairly quick if the computer detects no issues.

Cold Start
The barometric pressure (BARO) is more than 81 kPa.
The engine coolant temperature (ECT) is between (41-86°F).
The intake air temperature (IAT) is between (41-86°F).
The start-up ECT and IAT are within (16°F) of each other.
The battery voltage is between 9-16 volts.
The fuel level is between 15-85 percent.

Important: Whenever the ignition is turned ON, ignition positive voltage is supplied to the HO2S heaters. After verifying the enable criteria, turn OFF the ignition for approximately 5 minutes to allow the sensors to cool before continuing with the test. Once the engine is started, DO NOT turn the engine OFF for the remaining portion of the set procedure.

Turn OFF all of the accessories,
Set the vehicle parking brake.
Verify the transmission is in Park for automatic transmissions and Neutral for manual transmissions.
Start the engine and allow the engine to idle for 2 minutes.

Acceleration at part throttle to (55 mph) with this speed maintained until the engine reaches operating temperature. This may be up to 8 minutes depending on the start-up coolant temperature.
Continued operation under these conditions for an additional 6 minutes.

Acceleration at part throttle to (45-55 mph) with this speed maintained for 2 minutes.
Deceleration to (0 mph).
Engine idling for 2 minutes while the following criteria are maintained:
The service brake is depressed.
The automatic transmission is in drive.
The manual transmission is in neutral with the clutch pedal depressed

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Hi, just checking in to see how things are going. Do you need further assistance?