Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2000 T&C. It has dual front controls but not

Customer Question
I have a 2000...

I have a 2000 T&C. It has dual front controls but not auto-temp. The temp of the front heater is about 100 degrees at 35 degrees outside. Temp controls are at max. If you turn them down, the air gets colder- then cold. It seems to be equal on both sides. The hoses to the heater core at the firewall are hot, but not as hot as the upper rad hose. The tubes to the rear heater never get even warm. I have changed the thermostat, and water pump, but that changed nothing. Needless to say, the rear heater does not put out heat. I have tried to bleed air from the system as best as I can. The tube from the rear of the engine to the heater is as hot as the return hose . It seems to be a flow problem but I can find nothing in the system to restrict the flow. Maybe I just missed it, but the fact that the rear feed tubes never get even warm is a mystery

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle ever overheated? And when was it last serviced?

Never overheated. I change the antifreeze every two years or thirty thousand miles. I have owned the vehicle since it had 40,000 miles. It has 180,000 miles now

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model of your car?

Chrysler T&C 2000

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I'm doing my own work. I am a retired mechanic, Replaced water pump and thermostat.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I haven't flushed anything yet, but there seems to be no sediment in the cooling system, plus the fact that it has had multiple, complete coolant changes. I drain both sides of the engine block as well the radiator, every time

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Chrysler
12/19/2017
Chrysler Mechanic: Pete, Technician replied 5 months ago
Pete, Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Have you checked the actual coolant flow to the front and rear heater core to see if it has good flow with the inlet hoses disconnected and engine running briefly?

Let me know,thanks Pete.

How do you check the flow to the rear heater without loosing all the coolant ?The tubes run under the car.

Unfortunately, you would need to remove the tubes and place them in a container and run very briefly to check flow.You can also get a heater hose connector and connect the two lines together to see if you feel the warmth through the hoses then.But usually, I have removed them then placed them in a bucket or container and ran the engine very briefly to see if there was good flow.Is there any way you can check this?

I will check the flow from the tubes, but it will take me a little time

O.k.,let me know.This will help determine if you have an issue with a plugged heater core or a restriction in flow.

Thanks Pete

Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch, Aftermarket & Factory Electronics