Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have no heat in my 2011 Chrysler 200 and am being told it…

Customer Question
I have no heat...

I have no heat in my 2011 Chrysler 200 and am being told it is because the coolant has turned brown and plugged the system. The dealership wants $2,800 to fix this. How did this happen and why didn't the dealership notice this when they changed oil and topped off all systems? I could not afford $28 much less this amount. They are not even going to try to flush the system because they have "never seen anything this plugged before". Why is this my problem? What caused this and how would I even know it was happening? I will never buy a Chrysler again.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked to make sure the thermostat is working? What about the coolant level?

I took this to the dealership so I assume they would check this stuff.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 300 yourself? What have you tried so far?

It is a Chrysler 200 and I just found this out. I live in Minnesota and it's freezing out. I am so angry! Also who was the idiot who designed having to take the front end all apart to change a light bulb? I am a mechanical designer so I know a poor design when I see it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I also have bubbling on the hood right by the headlights, the salesman told me this was from rocks but there are no chipping. I hate to be talked to like I'm stupid. When I checked again and they told me it was a flaw from Chrysler but too bad my warranty had just run out.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Chrysler
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/18/2017
Chrysler Mechanic: roybelding, ASE Certified Technician replied 6 months ago
roybelding
roybelding, ASE Certified Technician

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

ok

you can find a radiator shop that can pressure flush the system for you. it will not be anywhere near the cost you were quoted. it generally runs about 200.

as far as why they did not find it?? only they can answer that. they are the pros who are supposed to watch over your car.

yes, there were paint flaws but you need to see if they will cover it if your warranty just ran out. they can make exceptions on that rule.

as far as why it happened, lack of changing the coolant is the main reason for it turning brown. it is a 50k service to change coolant

Roy

What a waste of $5!

your welcome

Chrysler Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 6 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

It's possible that the cooling system is rusted or contaminated with something foreign but heater core restriction is usually caused by aluminum oxide on these.

Are you able to remove the radiator cap and get a picture of the coolant?