Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2001 Chrysler concord 3.2. Brake pedal is rock hard and has…

Customer Question
2001 Chrysler concord 3.2. Brake...
2001 Chrysler concord 3.2. Brake pedal is rock hard and has no brakes at all. I believe it has vacuum boost? There is constant vacuum at the brake booster. Is there a check valve in there or what would be causing this?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Chrysler
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/18/2017
Chrysler Mechanic: Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems replied 7 months ago
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you,I will try to help you with this issue

if you do have vacuum at booster and the grommet where it attaches to it not leaking , go inside ,with car off , get close to brake pedal on iside where you can listen for a air whistle when applying the brake ,do hear like a whistle or a leak ,if the diaphragm inside the booster failed and have vacuum ,you will have hard pedal,I wouls replace that booster

You are very welcome :)

Please Read Below How to Get Back in touch with Me

Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May Receive my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Appreciated

Follow Up Questions are Included in The Price of Your Question ,So Feel Free To Ask Me.

Please Keep in Mind that when you Rate Me , it Does Not End our Conversation.

You Can Always Come Back to this Conversation and Ask Me any Follow up Question you May have on this Issue

(You can Copy this Link Page & Paste it in your Browser when Ready and it will Open up our Conversation Again)

or there should be a Tab on your Screen to Add me As Your Favorite Expert

I'm Online Daily from 7 Am Till Late Eastern Time Zone

Thank You
Chad Farhat

If I pull up on the pedal I can hear vacuum...does that check valve go bad or does it always have vacuum at pedal

I does go bad and there should be no sound at pedal ,i don't believe you are holding vacuum

if the check valve was bad what would be the scenario

you replace it , but if orignal on a 2001 , i replace booster and check valve

auto zone has check valve for $8.99 replace first

https://www.autozone.com/brakes-and-traction-control/power-brake-booster-check-valve/help-power-brake-booster-check-valve/98343_0_0

and booster for $62.99 replace after check valve replaced and not fixed ,will be my suggestion

https://www.autozone.com/brakes-and-traction-control/brake-power-booster/duralast-reman-brake-power-booster/44674_634455_7889

You are very welcome :)

Thank You
Chad Farhat