Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Mechanic recently check the fan and the relays and PT

Customer Question
Mechanic recently check the...

Mechanic recently check the fan and the relays and PT Cruiser he said that the computer is not activating the fan does that mean I need to replace the whole computer box

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?

129000 running normal besides overheating because of the fans

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your PT Cruiser?

2009

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your PT Cruiser yourself? What have you tried so far?

I replace the relays and the smaller fuses

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I would like to know the total cost if I took it to a mechanic or if I can fix it myself

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Chrysler
12/18/2017
Chrysler Mechanic: Mike, Auto Mechanic replied 7 months ago
Mike, Auto Mechanic

Hello, my name is***** will be helping you out! I have over thirteen years of experience in the automotive industry for numerous different makes & models. I enjoy doing what I do, it is my life.

The mechanic found the problem, but not the solution to fix it. He still needs to check why the PCM is not sending its signal such as a wiring issue or a bad temperature sensor. Further diagnosis is needed to determine if it is the PCM that is bad. If he has a scan tool we can determine if the PCM is receiving signal to activate the fan relays. It would be rather difficult to diagnose without a scan tool.

I assume he does not because he has referred me to the dealership about how much do you think it would cost to replace
It will still need to be properly diagnosed which depends on state usually around 120.00 to diagnose. If the PCM is bad that can vary from 1100.0 up to 1800.00 depending on state.

Please take a moment to rate my service so I can receive credit for the answer, it would mean so much to me :). We can still continue on the question even after rating me.