Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I checked the fuel pressure. it is 49 lbs. upstream o2

sensor and has been replaced...
I checked the fuel pressure. it is 49 lbs. upstream o2 sensor and has been replaced. EGR and controller have been replaced
Engine has been replaced with used 2000 engine, It runs good/ idle smooth/ and has good power. Only problem is check engine light. I can reset using OBD2 but it recurs after about 5 to10 minutes.
12/17/2017
Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified, Technician
Hello.
May I ask what model Chrysler you own and the engine size please?
Your concern is the check engine light so can you please tell me what codes you are getting.
Also the year would be helpful so I can see if a 2000 engine is compatible. Thanks.
It is a 99 Chrysler Sebring Convertible with 2.5 engine
I bought it at auction and discovered it had low compression. I bought wrecked 2000 and took out the engine and installed it in my 99.
Thanks for the additional info. And what codes are you getting?
Po171 after about 5 minutes

Perfect thanks. OK, this code indicates the engine is running lean or at least the computer "thinks" it is.

Since you have checked the fuel pressure, the next step would be to look for vacuum leaks. Using a can or spray carb cleaner carefully go around the intake manifold and all vacuum hoses. Youll be listening for a change in the way the engine idles as you spray and any change would indicate a leak in that area.

If you cant locate any vacuum leaks then the next step would be the 02 sensors itself. There is a total of 4 sensors on this engine. I see you replaced one already, but you may need to change the others as well. I would also suggest you use dealer parts as the economy ones sold by your local parts stores are typically not reliable.

If you have any further questions please let me know.

Thanks.

The engine typically idles smoothy, however I sprayed carb cleaner around everywhere and was not able to detect change in idle. I also disconnected the vaccum hose that goes to the evap solenoid and capped off the vaccum to eliminate an evap problem. No change. I reset the code with my OBD and it recurred after about 5 minutes. I can get a vaccum test kit from autozone if it would be helpful in isolating the problem.

Thanks for the reply. A smooth idle along with your inspection and testing of the vacuum hoses should eliminate a vacuum leak as a cause. Now that we appear to have eliminated fuel supply and vacuum as causes, I would suspect that that you have an 02 sensor that is falsely reporting a lean condition to the computer. If you were able to get a scan tool that displays data then you would be able to watch the voltage readings from the 4 sensors and look for one that is reading differently than the others.

Short of that, I can only suggest replacing the sensors, and using dealer parts is very important for reliability sake.

Hope that helps. I'm here if you need anything further.

Thanks.

OK maybe I can get a scan tool from autozone. I have digital meters and a general purpose oscilloscope.
Ok sounds good, let me know how you make out.
My apology for the delays. I hope you will stay with me until I get this problem resolved. It appears a different diagnostic tool would be a good investment. I have an Innova 3120 diagnostic instrument that allows me to read codes ect. but does not to seem to have the capability to read o2 sensors directly or I simply don't know how to use it. I can get an ad410 scan tool on ebay for about $30. Your advice would be appreciated. When I get the scan tool I will sign up for direct phone contact so we can discuss the problem.
I received my ad410 scanner. I read 0.0 volts on o2s11 and 0.9 on os212. I presume the designation o2s11 refers to bank 1 sensor. If this is the case it would seem that there is most likely a wiring problem to bank 1 sensor. So far I havn't been able to locate bank1sensor.

Im not sure when you are looking at those voltages...........jst with the key on, or is the engine running?

Ideally we look at these readings with the engine fully warmed up and the rpm about 1500-2K.

If you are continually seeing zero volts from a sensor, then either the sensor is bad or there is a wiring issue going to it. Bank 1 refers to the same bank of the engine as cylinder #1. Also, each bank will have 2 sensors, for a total of 4 altogether.

The sensors are typically labelled Bank 1 Sensor 1 and Bank 1 Sensor 2 and then the same for Bank 2..........

Hopefully your scan tool is identifying them as sensor 1 and sensor 2 so you can locate which one is showing zero volts.

Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified, Technician
Amedee
Amedee, Chrysler Technician
Phone call session started
is this line still open.