Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Auto was vandalized. Had to replace the cylinder / key lock…

Customer Question
Auto was vandalized. Had...

Auto was vandalized. Had to replace the cylinder / key lock mechanism. Reused old keys so SKIM codes should be the same. Remote lock/unlock working. 2007 Chrysler Town and Country. Red security light stays on. Starter not turning over. Starter Motor Relay has no gnd good signal from PCM (pin 85).

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light flash, blink or stay solid? Have you tried to reset the security system?

Stays solid. Have tried to reset the security system by removing negative terminal and shorting it to hot for 30 seconds.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Town and Country yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. Doing it myself.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Tried the key reprogramming steps but that assumes you have a third key you want to program. I have only two. Both were working before the damage occurred. I am fairly sure that I carefully reconnected everything including the neutral switch and skim modules.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Chrysler
Additional: I am certain that the Starter Motor Relay (SMR) is good, have swapped it with adjacent identical relays, and have successfully bypassed it and activated the starter motor. The problem is in the PCM line labeled STARTER RELAY CONTROL on page 12-23 Haynes Repair Manual "Dodge Caravan Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country 2003 thru 2007" #30013. This line needs to be good to GND to actuate the SMR. Pin 86 of the SMR does go to B+ when the key is turned to crank. Possibilities in most likely order IMO: Reset Security, Reset Security using ODB/Computer Tool, Bad PCM, Other. Instructions to determine exactly which much appreciated.
I have searched the internet but have not found a clear, working, certain, and obvious solution.
Since replacing the Power Control/Integrated Power Module would be expensive and require reprogramming anyway, this would be a measure of absolute last resort, and only if it could be diagnosed positively as bad.
How much longer will I have to wait for an answer? Any estimates?
12/17/2017
Chrysler Mechanic: David Craig, Auto Mechanic replied 5 months ago
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I'll be more than happy to assist you, Please allow me a few minutes to review your information. Thank you.

what happens when you try to start? click? multiple clicks? nothing?

One in the PCM, two clicks if you count the acuator next to the key cylinder.

is the theft indicator going out when you try to start it?

?

When the key is turned to the start position, all indicators including the security (red dot) led go out, or dim. It immediately comes back on and stays lit when switched back to run.

you said the starter relay has no good ground signal from the computer to slot 85 of the relay?

That is correct. Pin 85 needs to go to ground to actuate the starter motor relay.

ok, do a continuity test of that wire from the relay to the computer. if the continuity is good, the computer is bad.

Chrysler Mechanic: Robert R, ASE Certified Technician replied 5 months ago
Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 30+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

Do you still need help with this?

If so, please let me know if there was any damage to the "Halo" wiring coil around the key cylinder?

This "Halo" is the receiver for the transponder key, if damaged in any way, the SKIM module will not be able to receive the signal from the key to be able to send the "OK to Start" signal to the PCM...

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

I still do need help. Some additional: since the problem occurred, the ACC relay has been stuck on. Still checking for internal devices/lights that may be on/dimmer, heater, short, ... Also, and more important, code P0513 "Incorrect Key/ Immobilizer" keeps coming up in the Transmission selector display. Any assistance appreciated.

This P0513 code is making me lean towards damage happening to the skim module. Can you look closely at the skim module and the halo that surrounds the key cylinder and let me know if there is any damage there? --->> Click Here to view <<---

If this halo is damaged in any way, it won't be able to read the key and you WILL get the P0513 code stored, if this is the case you need to replace the SKIM module with a NEW part and take it to your dealer so they can "Marry" the new SKIM module to the vehicle and program your keys. After this is performed, the vehicle will start and run...

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,

Robert

Robert R
Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Technician