Chrysler

Chrysler Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chrysler

Glow plug on 2006 Jeep Liberty 2.8 Diesel is shot.. can't

glow plug on 2006 Jeep...
glow plug on 2006 Jeep Liberty 2.8 Diesel is shot.. can't find replacements?
JA: How old is the engine? And when was it last serviced?
Customer: came with vehicle.. all services have been up to date to my knowledge... One owner before me, logbook looked pretty good (better than any I'd ever done! lol!) it was low mileage as well
JA: Are you fixing your Liberty yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No, I'm getting up there and there's too little reem for me, ha!
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: *room*
12/16/2017
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

here are the glow plugs you requested

https://www.1aauto.com/2005-06-jeep-liberty-glow-plug/i/mpeek00010?f=705328&y=2006&utm_campaign=gb_csv_br&utm_content=EEK&gclid=CjwKCAiApdPRBRAdEiwA84bo36tRWH-P2bIkDNCy7vlQz1xoeffHInDdJtdGtotyHyxGtUvlxGozZxoCF7oQAvD_BwE

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is there any other work that has to be done? Why am I buying four instead of the two I need? Any estimate on what the dealer will charge for work?

I figured while you were in there you would want to replace all of them, you can get the individually from moparparts.com for 45 a piece, labor times for that call for .5 depending on the dealer they may charge that or .5 each at there hourly rate, plus parts with upmark on parts so prob 400-500 dollars and that should be all you need to do

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
This occured right after I started the engine with ether... I was careful not to overdue, there was nothing indicating a problem at the time.... 20 min later, it began to smell and the red light with the electrical (some kind of throttle control?) came on and man, does that ever stink... does this sound typical?

is there a check engine light on? And no it dosent sound normal, what does it smell like? was there smoke from under the hood?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
yellow 'check engine' light is on, the red light, on the left of the cluster, has what looks like a lightning bolt in the center, came on until I shut the engine off and restarted. I had pulled into a market, left my son in car w/ engine running, ran into store.
Came out, um, 10 minutes or so, awful smell! opened door smell was inside too! (Pro'lly being drawn in through cabin heating/cooling system) Asked son "Don't you smell that??" " Oh, now that you mention it!" Arrrrrghh!
I thought, at first, that it smelt of burning insulation, or electrical components.... but, now that they've indicated that the plugs are not firing the pistons, I re evaluted and come up with a burning, varnish kind of smell? But inline with unburned, or partially burned hydrocarbons, that have been turned into sludge by heat that was insufficient to ignite the fuel.
I did NOT see copious clouds of smoke, but it was at night, and I do not see that now...Took to dealer... No mechanix today, no parts today.... sheesh! BUT they did scan the computer, indicated with, seemingly, high confidence that is was the No 1 and 2 Glow plugs... but they can't get any today cuz parts is closed, and could'n't do anything anyway cuz no mechanics, lol! So right now I'm looking to find some, and a mechanic that sounds like he knows what he's doing to fix it!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
On the 'boards' it was indicated by online gurus that something has to be done to the 'module'? Re flash?? Is it possible that the hard starting was a result of poor firing plugs?
and that my using ether to get it going further damaged the plugs? Sheesh!

im about to sign off ill open this up to the other techs to see if they can assist,

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Righty oh! Thank you for your help
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

If you have the original ceramic glow plugs in place then yes, there is going to be software programming necessary. The ceramic plugs were replaced with a metal plug many years ago. If yours have not been updated then all four plugs need to be replaced, the glow plug module replaced, and a Chrysler dealer is going to need to reprogram the engine controller software before the key is turned on with the new parts in place.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How often do these things go out?
Can you estimate what it is going to cost if all four have to be replaced?
Is there some way for me to know what's in there?

The ceramic plugs failed pretty often, hence the change to the metal ones. The metal ones usually last 3-5 years or more.

To know what is in place you'd have to remove at least one.

Cost to repair it will depend on where parts come from, local parts and labor prices. To do all four, the module and software update at a dealer you'd be in the $7-800 area.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
any alternatives to the dealer? Not if it has to be reprogrammed I'm thinkin'.... damn!

If programming is necessary it will need to be done at a dealer. You could have an independent shop install the parts and leave everything unplugged and then take it to a dealer for the programming. That would save maybe $100 on labor but it depends on the labor rate of the shop, and you may not find an independent shop that would be willing to do the repair because of the complexity and rarity of this engine.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
alright, thank you very much for your assistance.... have a good night, and a happy holiday season!

You're welcome and Happy Holidays!

sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
The first expert rated the labor at 0.5 hours for one glow plug or 0.5 for each of four if the dealership did it that way, he didn't know. I just came from the dealership and they quoted 9.0 hours for one or all! This is quite a disparity... where is the problem here? Who is pulling my chain??

9 hours is far too much unless they have found that one or more are going to break. It wouldn't exceed three hours unless something went wrong.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Okay... they are going 'by the book' and I imagine that there may be a problem there... stuff happens, lol!
Thank you for your help...

That's not the correct labor time per the time guide. I'm not where I can check at the moment, but I believe it calls for around 2 hours for all four.

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician