Chrysler

Chrysler Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chrysler

Continuous misfire Code... dealer cannot find the cause.

Customer Question
when failing it blows smoke...
Continuous misfire Code... dealer cannot find the cause. when failing it blows smoke with fuel smell
JA: Do you have a scan tool to read the codes?
Customer: no... this has been going on for over 4 weeks. They say the #3 cylinder is what the code says failed. They changed Coil, injector, spark plug... ran compression test. They say without the active code they cant diagnose
JA: What is the model/year of your Chrysler?
Customer: 2014 Chrysler 200 6 cylinder
JA: Are you fixing your 300 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No my 200 has been to the Chrysler dealership
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Chrysler
12/14/2017
Chrysler Mechanic: David Craig, Auto Mechanic replied 1 month ago
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I'll be more than happy to assist you, Please allow me a few minutes to review your information. Thank you.

if the code is not present all of the time then it is not a continuous misfire. They are going to have to take the vehicle for a ride with the scan tool hooked up and see what the parameters are doing at the time of the misfire.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The Dealership says they cannot reproduce the issue... when i get it back and the problem occurs, by the time i get it to them the code is still there but the cause is gone
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
is this something i can get hooked up to the car to isolate this issue

as I have said, a scan tool is going to need to be hooked up to the vehicle while it is being driven, and when the misfire event occurs, the technician will need to freeze frame the parameters and then look at what happened at the time of the occurrence

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Are there many things that could cause this intermittent problems

yes. spark plugs, coils, fuel injectors, low compression, bad wiring, a bad PCM, oil leaking into the spark plug tube, etc....

hows it going?

Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch, Aftermarket & Factory Electronics