Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2000 Chrysler Sebring Limited Convertible. One day the car…

Customer Question
2000 Chrysler Sebring Limited...

2000 Chrysler Sebring Limited Convertible. One day the car wouldn't start. Determined that no fuel is getting to the engine. Full tank of gas. Switched out fuel pump relay without success. Is there also a fuel pump fuse?

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?

140,000. Always started quickly prior to this.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sebring yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, but I'm getting help. Took out spark plug. Changed out fuel pump relay. Is there a fuse for the fuel pump?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I've seen the instructions for removing the back seat to access the fuel pump if necessary. I can't get the seat to budge.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Chrysler
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/12/2017
Chrysler Mechanic: Amedee, Chrysler Technician replied 8 months ago
Amedee
Amedee, Chrysler Technician

Hello and welcome!

My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question.

I can certainly answer your question, but I dont believe you will get the desired results. The reason being is because it needs to be diagnosed. I can help walk you through this diagnoses. That would be your best option. We can even speak over the phone too if you would like.

I need your engine size in order to provide you with information about your vehicle.

2.5 liter

THank you.

There is no fuel pump fuse.

Instead, there is a fuel pump fusible link (number 3) that powers up the relay.

The fusible links are located under the hood in the central junction box.

OK. We changed out the relay without success. What next?

To diagnose it like I mentioned above.

Can you give me a tip on how to remove the back seat? It says to push in and pull up. I've removed many rear seats but this one won't budge.

Which part and why?

The seat cushion or the back rest?

You should not have to remove the back seat for anything to diagnose and fix the vehicle.

We wanted to check if the fuel pump was receiving current. Removing the rear seat cushion allows access to the fuel pump

Do you know if the engine has spark while cranking?

it has spark. When we removed a spark plug, it was bone dry. Also, a mechanic friend said I could try to "shock" the fuel pump by hitting the tank with a 2x4 while cranking

Got it.

I used to work at an auto wrecking yard and have removed countless rear seats. I can't get this one to budge. Maybe I'm not as strong as I once was.

With the rear seat stopper pulled, lift up the cushion to remove it.

Rear seat stopper?
I'm in my house now and have not in my garage. Where exactly is the rear seat stopper?

In front and below the rear seat cushion. One on either end below where the passengers would sit.

I'll go out to the garage and look for it. Stand by.
Sorry. I'm not seeing a rear seat stopper. This is a 2000 Chrysler Sebring Limited Convertible

I am going to leave this open for other experts.

Good luck

At this point, all I'm looking for is help to remove the rear seat
Is anybody there?
This Amedee was utterly worthless and unhelpful. Total waste of time and money.
Chrysler Mechanic: David Craig, Auto Mechanic replied 8 months ago
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi Im David, please allow me a few minutes to read over this information. thanks

ok, there is no reason to remove the rear seat as there is no access to the pump. the only access to the pump is by removing the tank. so, if you turn the key to the on position, can you hear the fuel pump running for a few seconds?

hows it going?