Chrysler

Chrysler Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chrysler

My drivers side sliding door won't unlock. It started doing…

Customer Question
My drivers side sliding...

My drivers side sliding door won't unlock.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is this your first time dealing with this issue?

It started doing it a couple of weeks ago. I messed with the gas cap because it talked about that in the owners manual and I got it to work. It worked for a few days, and now it doesn't matter what I try. The lock won't budge.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chrysler?

2003 Chrysler Town and Country

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Town and Country yourself? What have you tried so far?

I haven't tried anything other then trying to pull the lock up. Tightening the gas cap. Using the locks on both the remotes and the door. Nothing is working.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I just need pointed in the right direction. My uncle usually fixes my vehicle for me. That way I know what information to give him. Or what parts I may need.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Chrysler
12/12/2017
Chrysler Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

If the door won't unlock either electrically or manually it's almost surely because of a bad lock actuator on the latch. The actuator will become stiffer and stiffer as it fails and it will progress to not moving at all. You'd need to gain access to the latch and you should be able to move the linkage by hand with a screwdriver or something similar, get the door open , remove the latch and then remove the actuator from it to determine whether the problem is with the actuator latch.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician