Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I need help with a 2007 pt cruiser

Customer Question
i need help with a 2007 pt cruiser
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Chrysler
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/11/2017
Chrysler Mechanic: Jared D, ASE Certified Technician replied 5 months ago
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician

Good morning,

If you clear the misfire code how long does it take to come back on?

maybe 2 mins...its also flashing service light..we were thinking maybe pcm or stuck or burnt valve

Flashing means an active misfire that is bad enough to turn the injector off. You're right to suspect a valve issue. That's fairly common. Have you performed a compression test or leakdown test yet?

Is your PT the turbo model?

the compression was 170 and yes it is turbo

That's not bad. Do you have a scan tool that will perform bi-directional controls?

no I dont

You've checked for injector pulse with a test light or noid light right?

Was the compression on the neighboring cylinders about the same?

according to my mechanic it had pulse on #1 cylinder...I think he said the com pression on the next cylinder was 175

Since the misfire is so bad I would probably perform a leakdown test. That will tell you if you have a cracked valve. If that test comes out ok then next I would hook up a smoke machine and see if you have an intake manifold gasket leak. That's pretty common on this engine.

I just take out plug number one and hook up a leakdown tester?

You'll need to remove the valve cover so you can rotate the engine to the compression stroke (TDC) on cylinder 1. Then hook up the leakdown tester. If you can hear hissing through the intake or the exhaust then you have a cracked valve.

Please let me know if you need additional info.

Jared D
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician