Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2009 convertible the top doesn't work. Not much.

Customer Question
I have a 2009...

I have a 2009 convertible the top doesn't work

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Convertible yourself? What have you tried so far?

Not much. Seems like is stuck and won't open or close

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The motor of the convertible sounds like is trying to work and make noises

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?

112818

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Chrysler
12/8/2017
Chrysler Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 6 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

If you do hear the motor continuing to run then there is either a mechanical problem preventing the top from moving or there could be a hydraulic failure. If the pump has failed or the fluid is low then the top will either work erratically or not at all.

What position is the top in now?

Is close but not all the way. Is 1 inch open but won't close or open from there

I would recommend starting by checking the hydraulic fluid level. The pump assembly is behind the trim panel at the rear of the trunk, it's bracket will need to be removed from the body and the pump moved over to access the plug.