Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I broke my ignition key went to junk yard got a new key and…

Customer Question
I broke my ignition...

I broke my ignition key went to junk yard got a new key and switch the van cranked and did fine until I pressed the button on the key while it was in the ignition running .once I pressed the button it just went dead and hasn't cranked since .the red security dot is staying on .I found my other factory key but it will not start with it either .I'm sure the security has kicked in on the van what can I do to fix this problem.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have a backup key? Maybe the emergency kind that fits in your wallet?

I I have the other factory chip key with the separate fob remote my fob was not made on the factory keys but the one I got from the junk yard was so when I craneed it I pressed one of those buttons on that key and it shut it down .I have since found my other factory key and remote

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chrysler?

2001 plymouth voyager

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Voyager yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I'm a mechanic I have tried putting the factory ignition back in it and using the factory key tried unhooking the battery tried a immobilizer bypass that I bought on ebay .didn't work my scanner won't tell me anything its not sophisticated enough

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just that I need to get going van has been shut down in the parking lot of my job for 3 weeks

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Chrysler
12/6/2017
Chrysler Mechanic: Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH replied 7 months ago
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH

Hi, my name is ***** ***** new key, or the old one will have to be reprogrammed into the computer, once the new key was used, the old will not, and the new has to be reprogrammed into the computer,Tim

Ok how do I get that done
that is why my security light is staying on and the van not turning over

yes, the red light means the computer does not recognize the key, the dealer can program these, but we use mobile locksmiths to come out and program them on site, this save a tow bill to the dealer, and they are cheaper too, our local locksmith charges 70 dollars t come and program them, the dealer gets over 200 to do this, and you have to tow it to them,Tim

Please dont forget to rate me, so I can get credit for helping, thanks,Tim