Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have an engine of a pt cruiser 2.0L....Can I install it in…

I have an engine of...
I have an engine of a pt cruiser 2.0L....Can I install it in a Pt cruiser 2.4L Car? Or do you know what other vehicles are compatible with it?
Also this info may aid you to get my answer better......The engines are very similar....the 2.0L and the 2.4L...The only difference is the Crankshaft teeth that send the signals to the sparks.....So the question will be fair simple can A crankshaft transfer from the 2.4 to the 2.0L will do it... or make it work?....Or can the computer be programmed to receive the spark signal from the 2.0L Engine crankshaft to the 2.4L signal....Hope you do understand me.. Thanks
If the cranksafts are similar and goes in the same positions...That will do it I know...Can you please let me know if both can be compatible if interchanged...from 2.4L to 2.0L or viceversa...?
12/5/2017
HDGENE
HDGENE, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Hello, you would be better off taking the Powertrain Control Module for a vehicle with a 2.4 and the wiring harness from the donor vehicle if you wanted this to work without any major complications. ANything else would turn into a much bigger project than whats its worth. You are really best off to just repair the stock 2.0 engine if there is an engine failure for this vehicle.

If you need more help please let me know. If I was helpful, please use the 5 stars above to leave a positive rating.

Hi Thanks for reply...well that wont help...The engine I have is a brand new Pt cruiser 2.0L from 2001 to 2003 never used...And all pt cruisers here In USA are 2.4L....I check that they are identical fit perfectly in the engine and transmission chamber...of a pt cruiser 2001 to 2003...But the teeth of the cranckshaft that send the spark to the sparks are different...And the question is:::Can I install in my new engine a crancksaft of a 2.4L pt cruiser?....That is to me the less hassle and the more convenient...The cranck shaft sensor is in the same position. and the transmission will fit perfectly....The only thing I worried is if the cranckshafts don't hold the main bearings and the rodbearings equaly...Can you please let me know?

The crank should fit, but its a question of the right bearings, You may need to go through a couple different sets if the bearings that came with the other crank dont plastigauge properly or the engine binds up when turning.

Do you have manual to see the expecifications? if the crank fit the rest will be a peace of cake...Cause the only difference is the teeth of the crank...but I notice they are in the same location of the engine...The only thing before buy a pt cruiser crankshaft is to make sure they are the same in MM measurements to fit the bearings....if you can see that in your manuals that will give me a yes to buy a Pt cruiser 2.4L crankshaft

SHould drop right in. I dont have the actual crankshaft measurements. I would only have torque specs. That would be a parts supplier question.

Okay, by common sense then if both engines are equal... and the cranck fit...then those main bearings and rod bearings must be the same...don't you think?

Most likely but its something you still need to check during assembly or you run the chance of having a knock or worse an engine that wont turn because the clearance is too tight

I think....correct me if I am wrong....that the only difrence is the piston size by just 4MM is it not? the bearings that hold them must be equal is it not? what do you think?

The base block dimensions, line bore stuff like that should be the same, the rest is in the small details like that, valves, valve timing that make the differences.

Okay...Thanks for your advice,,,then...Other question do you know if I can use that engine the 2.0L in another Chrysler vehicles without doing all this...?
the fellow that sell this engine warranty that will fit the neons and indeed did but with the same teeth problem..the car did not start because the wrong spark signal
.

The single-cam 2.0 gave rise to the DOHC engine used in the Neon, Avenger/Sebring, Mitsubishi Eclipse, and Eagle Talon small cars

My new engine is a 2.0L DOHC
What cars can bear it?

I already posted Neon, Avenger/Sebring. Mitsubishi Eclipse and Eagle Talon.

Okay sr... Thanks a lot The neon don't do it...for sure>..... I already try it...But any way...I will go to the junk to see the other ones may be I find a use to this new engine...Have a great night.

You are welcome, Good luck. If I was helpful, please use the 5 stars above to leave a positive rating.

HDGENE
HDGENE, ASE Certified Technician
Hi this is Daniel...Maybe I will get a 2004 pt cruiser 2.4L for my engine.....Can you please send me the expecifications for an overhaul.. cause as you tell me I will need the crank to be changed... and I will need to tie the rod and main bearing right...Also do you think will be compatible for my 2.0L engine? Thanks.

Specifications for? What do you want?

Hi sr.. Just answer sent me a final e mail...and told me to ask you one more questions if I have some to finish the conversation
So All the questions I did in the last text message are final...can you answer them?

You want specifications for a complete engine overhaul? In a 2.4 liter engine? This is different from engine compatability.

No...can a 2.4L 2004 pt cruiser be the same as a 2001 pt cruiser 2.4L engine? is all I need to know? thanks

Yes its basically the same motor as far as mechanical, but most likely some minor differences in the engine control systems. since it is 3 years newer.

Awesome is all I need to know...Now you can be happy...I alrady pay...so have a great week and a good nite.

You are welcome.