Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2008 hard top convertible and the top will not go…

Customer Question
I have a 2008...

I have a 2008 hard top convertible and the top will not go all the way up. It says there is a malfunction. I need to put the top up by hand.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Convertible yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes fixing it my self. It needs a new motor because it will put the top down but not up. The dealer said the motor was bad. And my kid hit the button to put it down and I need to get it closed all the way so it does not leak.

Mechanic's Assistant: How old are the hoses? And what driving conditions do you most often encounter?

I just bought the car for a cumiter for work it is in good condition

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The top is only open by a .50 inch and I just need to get it latched so I can drive it.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Chrysler
12/3/2017
Chrysler Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 4 months ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

What model - Sebring?

Touring
Hard top

HI,

Ok, there is a Sebring touring, Crossfire touring, and PT cruiser touring convertibles.

I need the actual model - Sebring, Crossfire, or PT Cruiser

Sebring

HI,

Ok, Chrysler does not provide a procedure to raise/move the top manually, however you can do this by releasing hydraulic pressure. Below is how to reach the pump to release pressure

1. Disconnect the battery negative remote cable.
2. Open decklid.
3. Remove the spare tire cover/floor panel.
4. Remove the rear trunk trim.
5. Remove the spare tire and jack.
6. Remove the two bolts (2) and one nut to the pump assembly.
7. Separate the pump from the bracket:
a. Unwrap the insulation.
b. Disconnect the electrical connector and un-clip the push pin.

At this point, you will see a valve on the pump. Turn it in either direction 90 degrees to release pressure(see attached) while someone pulls the top close to latch it

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.

There is no latches in the car. It is all electronic. Disconnecting of the battery will this clear the malfunction on the message indicator? Do I have to pull the fort tire to disconnect the negative on the battery?

HI,

Disconnecting the battery is just standard procedure before working on a car. It doesnt clear the fault. There is a remote negative battery connection in the engine compartment. It is a large stud with a black cover on it.

There are latches on the top. While they are electronic, they are still latches. the top is pulled shut until it latches so that it is secure.

But to pull the top the hydraulic pressure must be released, which is what the directions I posted are for. The top will not move as long as the hydraulic system is pressurized

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.If not, at this time please RATE the answer.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager