Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

A couple weeks ago I was low on gas and the engine started…

Customer Question
A couple weeks ago...

A couple weeks ago I was low on gas and the engine started running rough and kinda sputtering. I put gas in the car but the problem has not stopped. The check engine light is on, the transmission doesn't seem to want to shift properly and the engine runs rough.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

It stays on, no blinking yet.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chrysler?

2015 200C 2.4 L

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I thought some crap had somehow gotten sucked into the injectors so I put in a pretty good injectors cleaner. Would a bad catalytic converter cause these types of problems?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Chrysler
12/3/2017
Chrysler Mechanic: john -aka eauto, The Car Guy replied 7 months ago
john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy

have you scanned for codes?

Not yet, will have that done this week.

The check engine light comes on when the on-board computer detects a fault in engine driveability or performance, transmission control system or transmission, or the emissions system, and a fault code is set and stored in the computer. Faults that can set the check engine light can range from a vaccuum leak, engine mis-fire, low engine compression, faulty sensor such as O2 sensor or other engine sensor, hydraulic pressure loss in transmission, transmission shift solenoid, open/short in wiring harness, emission evaporative system leak, or one of over a hundred different reasons.
The only way to know what set a fault code and turned the check engine light on is to have a diagnostic scanner hooked up to the on-board computer and read it for stored diagnostic fault codes. Many auto parts stores will do this service for free- (like auto zone)check with you local parts stores. If none in your area do, then you will have to take it to a shop and pay to have the computer read for stored fault codes.

Without knowing the fault codes numbers, it would be irresponsible to guess as to the cause as there are hundreds of possible causes

if you provide me a diagnostic code we can narrow down the cause of failure