Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Has anyone pulled off a Thermostat housing #MD344304 on a…

Customer Question
Has anyone pulled off...

Has anyone pulled off a Thermostat housing #MD344304 on a 1999 Chrysler Cirrus? I have removed all 4 bolts, but it seems to be stuck on a center tube. Does the tube have to be removed somehow?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Cirrus yourself? What have you tried so far?

Removed all 4 bolts per diagram.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's all

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Chrysler
12/2/2017
Chrysler Mechanic: roybelding, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
roybelding
roybelding, ASE Certified Technician

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

what motor>>

do you still need help???

It is the 2.5 V6 Mitsubishi Motor in the 1999 Chrysler Cirrus. It seems to be connected to a tube that goes from the driver's side to the passenger's side between the cylinders above the motor. Do I just try to hammer it off, or is there some kind of fastener on the tube to release it?

Please take a moment and rate my service 3 stars or better. that is the only way the site will pay me for my efforts.

Roy

the top piece is the one I want to remove from the block. The "tin" connector to the heater hoses (already moved) has corroded and there are none available in the whole world. I am going to plug or install heater hose connectors to the thermostat housing. I have removed the four bolts holding the thermostat housing (holes shown in the diagram). It does not seem to budge, and I cannot find anything else connecting it. It seems to be slid on a tube that runs to the other side of the motor. I am 200 miles from the car today or I would send a picture. I will be back at that location tomorrow. Thanks!

ok, send a picture

Dear *****,Sorry for the delays. I got the thermostat housing loose. There was a bolt #3 holding the tube #9 into the other side of the motor. The housing is still connected to the tube and it would be difficult to remove the thermostat housing with the tube connected. Is there a professional way of removing the tube from the housing at this point?Thanks,Terry

yep, you are going to need to remove the intake from the motor due to the pipe under the intake that goes into the pipe assembly. not fun but necessary.

Roy

It looks like the pipe separates from the housing since there is a washer on both sides. It came loose on the passenger side, but is still stuck in the thermostat housing? Is there a tool or method for separating the two pieces?

there is a pipe under the intake that goes into the center of the pipe. that o ring for the pipe may be what is holding it from releasing.

Roy

ok

part 9 is bolted fast. yes, it will pull out but the intake will have to be removed to install it. that ring gets hard over time. you cannot see it either to spray with some lube. also, with the length of the tube, you may not have enough room to get it out of the front. it runs the length of the motor.

Roy

roybelding
roybelding
roybelding, ASE Certified Technician