Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Horn comes on and won't stop until fuse or relay is pulled.

Customer Question
Horn comes on and...

Horn comes on and won't stop until fuse or relay is pulled

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?

110,000 and yes it starts ok

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chrysler?

06 Pacifica

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Pacifica yourself? What have you tried so far?

I'm attempting to diagnos myself, When i start it up it doesn't go off until I turn the steering back and forth. Then I can do is pull the fuse or relay to make it stop.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Chrysler
12/2/2017
Chrysler Mechanic: camerontech, Technician replied 7 months ago
camerontech
camerontech, Technician

hi there

im cam, a licenced diagnostic tech

If your horn is going off and on with steering action then your problem is either in the horn pad or the clockspring.

I am leaning more towards the clockspring as it is in the turning action that stops and starts it.

remove the horn pad from the column while keeping it plugged in and continue to turn the steering and see if the problem is exactly the same. squeeze the horn pad in different spots whith it out and see if the horn pad itself is collapsing internaly turning the horn on.
let me know how you make out and if i can assist you further i would be happy to help

please take a moment to rate me and i am always available for follow ups after rating

thanks and i appreciate positive ratings

I'm not quite sure about removing the horn pad without setting off the air bag? Should I disconnect the battery?

you can remove the airbag fuse and wait for 10 mins for the system to de energize.
removing the airbag is safe. as it takes full 12v to ignight them, not just moving them around.

always be cautious but i have never seen someone set one off by accident

hi there

please dont forget to rate me as it is how i am paid by just answer!

thanks!