Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I just bought a 2003 PT Cruiser "As Is." Today the check…

I just bought a...

I just bought a 2003 PT Cruiser "As Is." Today the check engine light came on. What are the possibilities of what's wrong?

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

It stays on.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your PT Cruiser yourself? What have you tried so far?

No, I will have to take it to a dealership or mechanic's shop. I've tried nothing so far. I just found out what the light meant.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Everything else is working fine.

12/2/2017
camerontech
camerontech, Technician

hi there

im cam , a licenced diagnostic tech

a check engine light can be anything from a loose gas cap or a sensor issue to a module problem.

a flashing check engine light is a immideate problem that needs to be looked at right away is it is damaging the catyletic converter.
being that your car seems to be running normal, I am leaning more towards a problem with the emission system.
these can be generally not to expensive to repair.

the system can also reset itself after a number of driving cycles if its just a loose cap.

most auto parts stores will also scan your car for free.
if its running ok, i would not be too concerned of driving untill you have it scanned

without knowing the code , it can be really hard to guess what it could be or how much to fix

let me know how you make out and if i can assist you further i would be happy to

please take a moment to rate me and i am always available for follow ups after rating too!

thanks and i appreciate positive ratings

cam

Thanks. That’s a relief. You were a big help, and I’m glad to know I don’t have to do anything for now. I’ll check the caps and make sure they’re tight before taking in to an auto parts shop to run a diagnostic.
Thanks for the advice.

no problem!

let me know how you make out!

please dont forget to rate me as it is how i am compensated by just answer

thnaks!

cam

camerontech
camerontech, Technician