Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Can I plug a leaking water pump weep hole? I am replacing…

Customer Question
Can I plug a...

Can I plug a leaking water pump weep hole? I am replacing the engine in 2-3 weeks and don't want to replace a water pump if I am going to replace the engine. The car is my daily driver. It drops about 1-2 cups of coolant a day.

Mechanic's Assistant: What part of the car is the leak coming from? And are you sure it's water?

It's definitely coming thru the weep hole on the pump. No doubt about it.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chrysler?

Its a 318 v8. 1970 Plymouth. But my question is generic. Can I plug a leaking water pump weep hole for 2-3 weeks before I replace the engine? Or will that cause internal pressure and cause the shaft top seize?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

My question is simply can I plug the weep hole. The engine is rebuilt sitting on a stand in my garage and will be installed by me and my brother in mid-December. I tried Radiator Stop Leak, but it is clear that will not fix an internal pump seal, hence why water keeps coming out the weep hole. Can I plug it without any adverse damage?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Can I just tap the weep hole and put a screw into it to stop the leak for a few weeks?

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Chrysler
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/1/2017
Chrysler Mechanic: David Craig, Auto Mechanic replied 4 months ago
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I'll be more than happy to assist you, Please allow me a few minutes to review your information. Thank you.

the water pump is bad. plugging a hole is not going to make the water pump operate better. you will lose pressure and flow and the coolant will find other ways out possibly getting into places you dont want. and it will overheat

hows it going?

Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch, Aftermarket & Factory Electronics