Amedee
Amedee, Chrysler Technician
Experience:  ASE certified Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

2001 Sebring 6 cyl Losing power up high rev no power. It

Customer Question

2001 Sebring 6 cyl Losing power up hill high rev no power.
JA: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?
Customer: It happened once before with some bad fuel I got. Changed the fuel and added fuel injector cleaner, went away for months. Just filled tank first of the week with known good Shell gas, now have had problem three days.
JA: Are you fixing your Sebring yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I was thinking that the problem might be in the transmission filter or fluid. there is also a pinging sound when the high rpm, no power situation is there. flat or mild hill no problem she runs fine.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I need to have the vapor solenoids checked too I think.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Amedee replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome!

My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question.

Expert:  Amedee replied 11 months ago.

Is the check engine light on? Are there any codes in the computer?

Is the transmission slipping under a load?

Would you be willing to speak on the phone?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No slippage The check engine light has been on for a while, the codes were relating to the vapor lock/Cannister system.
Since there is no vacuum when the gas cap is removed, I think it is a solenoid rather than the cannister.
There is only 61K on the clock - was sitting a while though.
Expert:  Amedee replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for that information.

The evap system and or evap codes in the computer will not cause a performance issue so that is not going to be related.

If the transmission is not slipping but the engine has low power under a load, there could be a few possible causes. I will list the most likely for you..

• Tune up components
  • Camshaft position sensor
  • Crankshaft position sensor
  • Plugged exhaust
  • incorrect valve timing
  • Low fuel pressure (due to a weak fuel pump)

Keep in mind this is a "starting point". My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know