Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My 2005 crossfire im driving about every mile the

Customer Question
My 2005 crossfire im...

My 2005 crossfire im driving about every mile the transmission goes in to neutral I go to the side of the road put it in park kill it for about 1 minute crank it take off it shifts fine for about 40n

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?

The vehicle has 81 thousand miles but now I try to drive it when you put it in gear it slams in gear I drive it around the block it stays in low gear and wont shift

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Crossfire yourself? What have you tried so far?

Changed transmission fluid and filter

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Why my transmission wont shift

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Chrysler
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/29/2017
Chrysler Mechanic: Lou P, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
Lou P
Lou P, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, my name is***** and i will do my best to assist you.I am going over your story now and will reply back soon with some info,thanks!

this transmission has its own control module.

what you need to do is find a scan tool that can read the transmission control module for its fault codes.

from what you describe it does sound electrical since the cycling of the ignition key gets it back going again.

so we need fault codes before we can go further.

a scanner from autozone or a parts store will not work since those scanners basically only check the engine module.

it most likely will give us a code but the code will just say that there is a fault in the trans and will not tell you what that fault is.

also when you did the fluid change did you have the dipstick to correctly fill the trans?

when checking this fluid we need to use the dipstick and a scanner so we know the temperature is either at 25 or 80 degrees Celsius.

that is the best way to check the fluid as these transmissions are very picky on the fluid level.

Lou