Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I can't get my gear shift out of park. It's a 2005. the

Customer Question
I can't get my...

I can't get my gear shift out of park

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?

It's a 2005. the vehicle is sitting on a slight incline. If I move it onto lever ground will it help?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '05 Chrysler?

The model is PM

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I'm going to call CAA but it won't move. I think the parking brake was engaged by accident and won't release

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The brake light is on and won't respond to the brake release being pulled.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Chrysler
11/27/2017
Chrysler Mechanic: Pete, Technician replied 6 months ago
Pete, Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

If it is on a steep incline this will cause this issue here.In some cases, you may have to rock it away from the way the vehicle is leaning to release the shifter and park brake.This can be dangerous to do as you don't want it rolling back on anyone when this is done.

YOu would either need to rock it to resolve this issue or get it onto flat ground.

I would also check to see if it has brake lights.If it does not when the brake pedal is pressed with the key on or engine running you may have a faulty brake switch needing replaced.That would need to be checked into/tested further to see if the brake switch needs replaced or if it just needs to be put on the level ground or rocking it to release it.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete