Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My 2017 Journey 3.6L has a just detectable ticking noise,

My 2017 Journey 3.6L...

My 2017 Journey 3.6L has a just detectable ticking noise, particularly under light load. Doesn't change speed with engine rpm, doesn't change speed when manually shifting gears (has the 6 speed auto), seems to go away if at about 30mph I put the car in neutral. Doesn't tick if not moving.

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?

Its has about 6k on it, just bought it in June.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Journey yourself? What have you tried so far?

No, I've taken it in at about 4k for 1st service.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Question 1 -- is there a fee for this?

Mechanic's Assistant: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Chrysler Mechanic. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason.

What is the rest of the fee?

11/21/2017
Chris
Chris, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will assist you today. That tick noise is coming from the evaporative emission purge solenoid. When it is working, it will click on and off (cycle). This is normal and not a problem. Some solenoids may be louder than others, and if yours is, then ask the dealer to check it and if necessary replace it. This should be covered under the vehicle's emission system warranty.

I hope this answers your question.

Chris

Ticking about twice per second, that sound about right?

Yes that sounds like the correct duty cycle for that solenoid.

Chris

Chris
Chris, Technician

Thank you!

Chris