Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Turns on and runs for a second then turns off. 97 town and…

Customer Question
Turns on and runs...

Turns on and runs for a second then turns off

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chrysler?

97 town and country relay clicking in the fuse box when key is turned to on position i replaced the battery and cleaned the terminals. looks good to me but im no mechanic

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?

It's in park but i can put it in neutral.......i do not know it has a wheel lock feature

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Town and Country yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes..... the only thing i have done was change battery and relay in the fuse box under the hood

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes, if i continue to mash the gas it forces the van to keep running

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Chrysler
11/21/2017
Chrysler Mechanic: Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic replied 7 months ago
Tim's Auto Repair

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.
I will do my best to assist you.

so..you can keep it running by giving it throttle?

thanks for your time, but no i rather type, im hard of hearing

does the engine light stay on?if so,can you give me the trouble codes/?

i cannot get the codes, i do not have a scan tool handy

ok.

so,the problem is only at an idle?

does it seem to run well when you give it throttle?

it doesn't run that smooth at all when i force it to stay on by giving it throttle

ok.

please explain to me when this problem first began

the other day. i went to start the van and i heard a clicking noise.....which i found coming from the fuse box under hood
it would not stay running

ok

sense the engine light is staying on..the first thing you really need to do here is to scan it to get the codes,,these codes will give a clue to the problem

without the codes,all we can really do is guess

im going to go out and turn the car on again and see if the engine stays on, because i can't remember. one second

to me it sounds as if you may have a bad vacuum leak,the iac sticking or even the egr valve sticking open

the engine light stays on
it turns on and runs, but it will not stay on if i let up off the gas pedal

ok..you really need to scan it before going any further.

that problem could be a few things

ok thanks i will get it scanned and get back to you

yes,,please do

thanks

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feedback ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help.