Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Ignition switch must be repeatedly turned in order to start.

Customer Question
Ignition switch must be...

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the car been stalling out?

No. The ignition switch lights the dashboard but does not engage the starter every time

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chrysler?

2002 town and country

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Town and Country yourself? What have you tried so far?

I haven't attempted anything yet. The van does start after perhaps 10 or so turns of the ignition switch

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Chrysler
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/21/2017
Chrysler Mechanic: Mike V.v, Technician replied 5 months ago
Mike V.v
Mike V.v, Technician

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and respond with the assistance you need!

Does it crank and not start or no cranking at all?

Does not engage starter, as previously reported

I would suspect the starter to be the issue and not the ignition switch. Especially if the starter is making a single click type of noise each time you turn the key. It's likely bad and for now the van will start, but it is letting you know it's bad. If you use a test light on the small wire at the starter and have a helper turn the key, you can determine if the starter solenoid is getting power, if it is, replace the starter.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, so please rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings.
Thank you so much!

Do you have more questions on this?

Mike V.v
Mike V.v
Mike V.v, Technician