Chrysler

Chrysler Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chrysler

I have a 2006 T&C Touring with 3.8l engine. Sporadically

I have a 2006 T&C...
I have a 2006 T&C Touring with 3.8l engine. Sporadically lights on the dash begin to dim, warning lights come on, radio (aftermarket) shuts off, then returns to normal. I ran a alternator test through OBDII while this was occurring and it was showing 15 and 16v readings but said the charging system was functional. This seems to occur after driving for a while, not at start up/cold engine. I have since cleaned the battery terminals and have not had a repeat issue, however when I ran the alternator test again it said that the system was overcharging (results briefly touched 15v at times). I initially thought it to be an alternator problem but online search shows voltage regulation in the pcm. I have no DTC codes in the system. Any thoughts?
JA: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?
Customer: I have not checked fuses as all lights work normally, they just begin to flash when going through this "episode".
JA: Are you fixing your Touring yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I do all work myself the last 10 years, so yes. And this one has me baffled. Was looking to see if there are other tests to perform to determine if alternator, wiring, or pcm at fault. Check on battery seems to be good (maybe 3 years old off the top of my head)
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: just that it is intermittent. I have driven the last several days without visible incident, although the "overcharging" test showed today with an Innova scanner. At same time ran a battery test and it stated it had a draw and showed a high charge (high 13v)
11/20/2017
Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. The issue that you are having is likely going to be due the alternator itself. Although, the PCM maybe at fault and the best way to check and test for your issue is with a scan tool. You should first test the field wire. This is the Brown and gray wire for the alternator to the PCM. It is located in connector 2 pin 19. If this wire is faulty, then the alternator will be at full field. You test this continuity of this wire. if this wire is sound, then best thing to do is to remove the alternator and test it off of the vehicle. If the alternator proves to be sound then the issue is in the PCM. Here, I am attaching the electrical information for the charging circuits along with testing information.

I'm sorry. Here, is the electrical.

If you require more information on this issue and/or are not satisfied, let me know, please, and I will attempt to assist you further on this. I hope this information points you in the right direction. If you have any further questions or concerns on this issue, feel free to ask. If you are satisfied, and have found this information helpful, a positive rating would be greatly appreciated and necessary in order for experts to receive credit for answers provided. Thank you.

A positive rating does not close the session. We will still be able to communicate, and I will still continue to assist you with this issue as needed.

Just as a reminder, if you have found this information helpful, please, do not forget to rate the service. Thanks again.

Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician
Todd M
Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician