Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

It would not start and just made a rattle type noise and a…

Customer Question
It would not start...

It would not start and just made a rattle type noise and a light came on the dash that says deck.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?

No.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chrysler?

2003 Sebring

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sebring yourself? What have you tried so far?

It did it for the first time tonight with no previous issues. Haven't done anything yet. Was looking up location of starter in case that was it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I don't think so.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Chrysler
11/20/2017
Chrysler Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

There are quite a few things that could be going on but I suspect that your battery is dead due to the trunk being left open. What you heard was most likely the rapid clicking from the starter that comes with low battery voltage.

I wuold recommend either trying a jump start (not always reliable), swapping in a known good battery, or having the battery load tested. Most big chain parts stores such as Autozone will test batteries for free.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

I tried charging the battery with no luck. I will get some jumper cables and try that. The battery is very difficult to get to. There’s a cover to remove in front of the left tire that I have not been able to remove. If the jump doesn’t work I will have to get it towed.

Let me know how it goes!

Tried the jump. It clicked faster but wouldn’t start.

The battery is going to need to be load tested then, it likely need to be replaced.

At this point I cannot get the cover in front of the tire off to get to the battery to remove it. I guess I will have to have it towed. Unless you know of an easy removal of the cover.

The wheel and access panel need to be removed to access the battery. It's not a hard process at all but there isn't a way around doing so.