Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I just bought a 2002 chrysler sebring 2.4 with a head

Customer Question
I just bought a...

I just bought a 2002 chrysler sebring 2.4 with a blown head gasket. The head had warped so I purchased a remanufactured head. Replaced timing belt and water pump while i was at it. Everything was done according to the book but no start. After countless hours and a few replaced parts I realized that the only way to start and keep the motor running was to rotate the camshaft sensor . It starts and runs fine but I need to be able to remount the sensor. When i move it back where it should be, the enging won't start. Did i possibly buy a head with the wrong cam shafts? I also purchased a new camshaft magnet that didn't do the trick. Was wondering if they gave me the wrong camshafts with my reman head. The part no. for the magnets changed in 03 so i'm wondering if I purchase a new year magnet if that will correct the problem.

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the timing belt? Have you ever had to change it before?

The timing belt is brand new. The car has 96,000 on it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sebring yourself? What have you tried so far?

Replaced head, timing belt, water pump, plugs, crankshaft sensor, camshaft sensor. Even purchased an ECM from 2002 but it didn't change anything so I put the original back in. I have checked and re-checked the timing. It appears that everything is 180 degrees out of phase as it runs perfect when i rotate the camshaft sensor.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Chrysler
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
forgot to mention that is a 2.4L dohc X
11/20/2017
Chrysler Mechanic: Dennis Gooch,
 replied 5 months ago
Dennis Gooch

Have you rechecked you cam timing? Sounds like it's off.

Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch, Aftermarket & Factory Electronics