Chrysler

Chrysler Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chrysler

Chrysler crossfire roof wont come up. Been sitting for a few…

Customer Question
Chrysler crossfire roof wont come...
Chrysler crossfire roof wont come up. Been sitting for a few weeks. No pump noise etc. Trunk divider switch working. Manually put up. When I unlatch the d ring the windows go down. Nothing else happened just a flashing light on the switch and the beeping. Manually put the roof down again and same thing. I hit the button and it just flashed and beeps. Any help would be great. It's a 2005 model.
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Chrysler
11/19/2017
Chrysler Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

If there is no noise when attempting to move the top then either the power top control module isn't operating or it has seen an issue that will prevent proper operation and is stopping the top from moving intentionally. It's going to require some testing to determine what is wrong.

The first step is going to be to determine if the module is operable. Does the scan tool allow you to select the module but it does not communicate?

No, my scan tool doesn't come up with the top module at all
Have you checked fuses?
Have you checked for visible component damage?
Have you tried a battery disconnect?
I've checked fuses, visual check looks ok. Battery has previously gone flat but I haven't disconnected it. I'll disconnect it and let it sit for a little bit and get back to you.
Ok.
No luck, still just beeps and flashes. Can't here pump going or nothing. I should ask, should the trunk lock before the roof goes up because that's not happening

The trunk just needs to be closed.

You can check fuse 5 under the hood and if ok then you can check the powers and grounds at the module. If ok then you're going to need a scan tool capable of communication with the PTCM to proceed.

Fuse is all good. Would you happen to know the specific pins I should be testing at the module?

19 is power, 11 is ground.

Power and ground at the module is good, I will try and find another scan tool to give it a scan and I'll get back to you asap.
Chrysler Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 months ago
Ok.
Sorry for the late reply. I got it to my dealer. There is no fault codes in the roof module and to test further it's estimated to cost $2200 just to test it. They want nothing to do with the car basically. Do you have a wiring diagram or something I could look at so I can just go threw and test every switch operation at the module, maybe even the roof top module pin out? Cheers

Did they actually look at the vehicle and told you it would be $2200 to repair?

The looked at it and told me it would be 15 hours labour ($2200) just to diagnose the problem. The repair would be extra.

There has to be more to it than that. If they looked at it and gave you a price to proceed then they found something and need to go further with it.

No, I'm telling you they found nothing and it just says itll be approx 2200 for testing of system and diagnosis, no repair. They just dont want to do it.

They wouldn't be able to give you a price on diagnostic time alone because they woudln't know how long it would take. Diagnostic time is billed at however long it takes to find a problem and you don't know how long that is until you're done.

If you believe they're just unwilling to help then you'll need to find a capable scan tool to proceed on your own, or see another Crossfire or Mercedes dealer.

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician