Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My trunk won't close. The top is down or up & trunk won't…

Customer Question
My trunk won't close ...

My trunk won't close

Mechanic's Assistant: What exactly is happening to the trunk?

The top is down or up & trunk won't close

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chrysler?

2008

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Touring

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Nothing really

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Chrysler
My top is in down or up position $ won't close
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
we are fixing ourselves
My guy is a machinist & Millright w/most of the needed tools. Just need 2 know what 2 do
When can I expect an answer
Answered in 1 day by:
11/17/2017
Chrysler Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 5 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

This may be happening due to an electrical issue such as a bad microswitch or wiring issue, it may be a mechanical failure or a hydraulic issue. It's going to require some testing to determine exactly what is wrong.

The first step in diagnosing the problem is to see what fault codes have set in the power top control module. Have you read the codes?

All it says is that the top is in operation. There r no other codes.

So you still hear the pump and components running?

No. But if it sits awhile it will go back down when I hit the down or up switch depending on up or down

If the noise stops it's because the PTCM is seeing a failure, setting fault codes and stopping operation. How are you checking for fault codes?

We don't have a way 2 check the fault codes
Is it something that a place like O'Reilly can do?

A parts store would have a generic OBDII code reader but not a scan tool. If you're unable to see physical damage to components or wiring then an actual scan tool is going to be required to begin diagnosis.

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician